Spa Belgian GP

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

briwy
Supreme Being

Spa Belgian GP

Post by briwy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Anyone know of a good site close to the circuit please?

Heard dodgy reports about the official campsite at the track and one of my mates who is a regular says it gets very rough. Lot of stealing going on apparently so would prefer somewhere else close by.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Spa Belgian GP

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:44 pm

I can definitely recommend Camping Eau Rouge ( http://www.eaurouge.nl/ ) to the south of the circuit, it's actually on the old road circuit. They have a baker deliver croissants & bread every morning and it's a lovely site. Just about walkable to the circuit, it's a long walk and you'll access the circuit at Stavelot which is the furthest from the pits area but there'e great viewing near there.

Plenty of pics from when we went for the 24 Hours in 2007 and 2008 if you’re interested, there was a thread on here but it’s been deleted for some reason.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:31 pm

Thanks Paul.

Looks ideal.
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Post by wonkanoby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:12 am

never heard of any such trouble

its allways very noisey but ive never seen any actual violence

few years since ive been but a bunch of mates were there last year
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:37 am

The theft bit is a sad fact of many campsites these days, you're not too bad in a campervan although Technophobe from this forum had his AFT roof slashed open so some delinquents could steal all their valuables. But tents & awnings are very vulnerable and, after a few beers, you're off your guard. In recent years places like Le Mans and even Brands Hatch are known for it, with a new set of potential victims almost every weekend. :(

I know some people who have camped at the Spa circuit, you can camp all around the circuit but there's only one "camping ground" with showers and toilets which is at Les Combes. There's another camping ground close to the main grand stand in the woods, or behind one of the hotels in Francorchamps itself. There's lots of beer drunk and lots of fireworks let off but no violence that I know of.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Booked at the Eau Rouge, good reports all round for this and easy walk to the circuit.

Tickets and Chunnel sorted so all set now.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:06 pm

Why not go from Spa to the Nürburgring (it's not much further) and take the Bongo around the Nordschleife :idea: :lol:
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:17 pm

Love to Paul but I'm running out of holidays so got to come back after the race.

perhaps next time.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:25 am

How did it go - apart from the Dutch on the campsite?

If you got the Friday morning train you'll hopefully have missed the rain that washed out free practice.

When we were on Camping Eau Rouge in 2007 and 2008 for the Spa 24 Hours, they were keen on campsite etiquette and it was very restrained. One of our group let one firework off, outside the campsite, and we were all almost ejected. Maybe for the F1 it's a lot more rowdy. The site was full of Belgians & Dutch when we were there but most of them were on holiday, it just happened to coincide with the race weekend.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:14 am

Brilliant weekend Paul.

Yes, missed Friday practice completely, nightmare on the motorway going though with rain and very windy.
Rain stopped about 5ish so got set up in the dry.
We liked the site a lot as well, just the noisy Dutch in the early hours, otherwise great. Someone tried to get the noise turned down and got thumped for his trouble so I guess no one dared tell them to stop after that.

Race day was excellent, shame about the crash taking out two of the top prospects though. I still think Button would have won but without such a big margin.
I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:38 am

You have to watch those freaky-deaky Dutch types, there's a whole bunch of them turn up at Le Mans each year and they can seriously drink beer :wink:

Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 am

Come to think of it, they have all manner of dodgy individuals as members :? :lol:

Return to “Campsites”