wild camping

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

stardust

wild camping

Post by stardust » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:32 pm

Having spent a bit of time wild camping I have a mental tick list to make the most of free or cheap overnight stops - feel free to add other thoughts/suggestions.

1) Nice place to park i.e sea front
2) Public loos open 24 hours or first thing in the morning ( yes, I am female)
3) Free parking or cheap parking
4) Space to get cooker/table/chairs out if weather allows
5) Quiet enough to sleep soundly at night
6) Bushes/trees/beach in the absence of public loos
7) Nice town/pubs to go into at night :D

It is an advantage having a tin top as I dont think people know we are sleeping the night.
Early Spring, late Autumn and Winter stops are great as lots of places ( tourist areas and seaside) don't charge for parking after 6.00pm.
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Re: wild camping

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:13 am

Obviously like you friend I am cagey about our wild camping spots :wink:

MINE! lol

Jo
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:46 am

Wild camping is only supposed to be legal in Scotland. Shock Horror. :shock:

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 am

Only wild camping I've managed so far in England is outside a campsite waiting for the gates to open (slept in the back through the early hours) to register and in a pub car park (after buying a meal and asking permission) - that was near the NEC when the Caravan Camping & Boat Show was on! Bargain!

Being a lone female I'm a bit dubious about actual real wild camping!
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
rapiddescent
Bongolier

Post by rapiddescent » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:12 pm

semi-wild camping for me: usually at places like the carpark at the base of Aonach Mor/Glenshee/glencoe ski carparks. All three are considering putting in elec hookups (but there aren't any just yet) but there are some facilities available and they are friendly enough.

it's OK to wild camp in the forest areas at many of the mountain bike trail centres in scotland in a bongo. A few prefer you not to use the car park but there's so many choices that you can easily find a nice quiet spot for yourself miles away from other people. Clearly, the further noth and away from civilisation the easier it is to find a spot.

In Scotland in the summer - every Loch within 40 miles of glasgow has huge numbers of wild campers round it. especially Loch Lomond - which turns into a sort of crazy 24hr frat party at some places (if you like that sort of thing)

so if you are planning to go for solitude then plan to go much further north and off the beaten track. remember the countryside access code doesn't apply to vehicles but to be honest, there's so many forest tracks and so on that you'll find a spot. Bear in mind to take a hand winch/tow cable as some of the forest tracks are tricky after it's been raining.
Ford Freda owning mountain biker dude
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:58 pm

It is Tony, but we have found if you walk places where you are parked at and spend some cash either shopping or in the pub locally you are welcomed with open arms. If you introduce yourself and say is it ok to stop at the car park by the sea.... They are happy to let you do it and cannot find a reason why not.
More money coming in.

I wish councils would get wise to this most bongos/motorhomes whatever go off the roads in October and back on in March when sites are open again. A mighty big loss of income I think.

That said it is just polite if nothing else to meet the locality where you are and contribute. I will never be a freeloader.

My thoughts
Jo
chipvan
Supreme Being

Post by chipvan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:31 am

for years we have had the plesure of camping on a cliff top over looking a great surfing beach in cornwall..it was a gravel track off the main road ..but now they have put a bollard up to put a stop to it..

There was never any trouble,just a few having a quite drink after a nce surf and no raves ect!

still have a few,but drinking is a no no incase you get moved on..
Hobbsy

Post by Hobbsy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:17 am

I do a hell of a lot of wild camping, I sold my vw pop top camper as i loved it so much and like you thought they dont really know your in there. I have to recommend the wild camping forum. I have about 3500 google earth wild camping spots of the uk.
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:05 pm

I'm a female lone wild camper and a female friend said goodness you are brave when we were discussing it. Not really , I pointed out. I have a hammer and a mallet for basing tent pegs, several sharp knives for preparing my meals, and a nine and a half stone very eager to jump up and say hello dog should we get disturbed.

Also I have a number of times asked to park in a pub car park overnight following a meal and drinks in the pub and I am always met with a very warm welcome and often a thank you for asking and not just assuming . Paves the way for fellow Bongoliers too I reckon !!

I wouldn't ever consider a tintop an advantage as its a functionality you don't have. I simply dont put the roof up on a wild camp and snuggle downstairs with a lovely warm dog instead :-) and then use the roof when on a campsite on maybe the third night for washing facilities ...
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Jillygumbo wrote:Only wild camping I've managed so far in England is outside a campsite waiting for the gates to open (slept in the back through the early hours) to register and in a pub car park (after buying a meal and asking permission) - that was near the NEC when the Caravan Camping & Boat Show was on! Bargain!

Being a lone female I'm a bit dubious about actual real wild camping!
I wild camped in Carpark 2.1 in the NEC on Thursday, you are not supposed to but I think they turn a blind eye if you aren't too blatant. On my own so no need to put the roof up. We had 24 Hour toilets and the only noise was the odd train. I was so knackered after a hours on my feet I didn't wake up for anything!
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:13 pm

This is our favourite wild camp.

Couldn't get the Bongo there though :( Too heavy to carry. :D

From the sleeping bag.
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:43 pm

briwy wrote:This is our favourite wild camp.

Couldn't get the Bongo there though :( Too heavy to carry. :D

From the sleeping bag.
:shock: :shock: Is that a bag of gin chilling on the stick? :? :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:59 pm

Intravenous drip even by the looks of it whilst sleeping .....
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:55 pm

I wish. :idea: :lol:
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:20 am

LMAO Muz

Voddie and I might be tempted!