Peak district. Derbyshire

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Re: Peak district. Derbyshire

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:09 pm

:D Kingbillybongo, were stopping off here next week Thursday / Friday on our way up to Windermere =D>
We intend doing the Monsal Trail on the Friday.......Do you recommend any of the pubs in the area as I do enjoy a tipple on my walks 8)
cheers! party on dudes.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:57 pm

Nearest pub to that site is the Waterloo on the A6 at Taddington. Not been in for years but used to be good.

If you're doing the Monsal Trail then leg it up to the Monsal pub above the tunnel entrance, cracking views from there, and an ice cream van. There are no pubs near the Trail towards the Buxton end.

Suggestion. Depending where you are doing the Trail from walk back from the Blackwell Mill (Buxton end) by the river. This goes over stepping stones through Chee Dale so if the river is high you need to ask if they are OK but it's a great walk with completely different views than from the Trail. If you don't like it you can escape back onto the Trail.
rhenry
Bongonaut

Post by rhenry » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Whatever you do dont go to Newhaven near Ashbourne ! Sterile dull campsite with more rules than Stalag luft 17 !
crazy uncle gray g
Supreme Being

Post by crazy uncle gray g » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm

:wink: Thanks for the tips folks 8)
cheers! party on dudes.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Just got back from a lovely walk between Monsal Head and Ashford. Not far off is the Red Lion in Litton which I can thoroughly recommend if you want a quaint Peak District pub with good food. Best to book though as it is small, and popular. Also suspect they discourage kids and dogs, so check first. There are some nice walks from there too. There is an excellent CAMRA pubs and walks guide I believe. :-)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Just got back from a lovely walk between Monsal Head and Ashford. Not far off is the Red Lion in Litton which I can thoroughly recommend if you want a quaint Peak District pub with good food. Best to book though as it is small, and popular. Also suspect they discourage kids and dogs, so check first. There are some nice walks from there too. There is an excellent CAMRA pubs and walks guide I believe. :-)
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 pm

off to the Caravan Club site at Castleton this coming weekend..... supposed to be top notch and a 1/2 mile walk into the village..... hopefully it will be a taster for a pre Christmas visit
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Campsites”