Slovenia

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

monkey
Bongonaut

Slovenia

Post by monkey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 pm

We are just back from Slovenia having stayed on 3 sites. I've included some info about each one along with some general points.
The country is absolutely stunning! We travelled through the Triglav National Park which is predictably spectacular. The pass over from Italy (Passo Predel) is probably the most impressive entrance to a country I have ever seen. The whole splendour of the Triglav massif hangs like some movie backdrop immediately you come over the pass. From here it is a short drive down to the gorgeous Soca river which is a remarkable emerald colour. We carried on to the small village of Trenta and stayed at the campsite of the same name-just above the village. This site was good-located right by the river, with a very helpful owner. The camp has a nice little bar and facilities are ok.
Next stop was on Lake Bohinj-a celebrated beauty spot which is very busy. We stayed at Camping Zlatarog at the far end of the lake. I would not recommend anyone to stay here! It was very expensive, packed with people and absolutely filthy. I saw no evidence of any cleaning taking place. True it has a glorious position but it must rank as one of the worst sites I have ever stayed on in over 20 years travelling in Europe. My advice-don't go near the place!
Our last stop was in the Upper Savinja gorge near to the well known Logar (or Logarska) Valley. This area is lovely-fairly quiet, unspoilt and scenically superb. Camping Smica at Luce was very good. Run by a very nice helpful family the site has good clean facilities and is reasonably priced.
In general Slovenia makes a very good destination-prices are quite low (Diesel 1.38 Euros, beer around the 2 Euro for 500ml) The country in the areas we visited was very clean-no litter, lovely houses with obviously proud owners . English widely spoken by the younger people-less so by the older folk -some basic German helpful.
We will certainly return.
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Re: Slovenia

Post by seventiesboy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Just come back from Slovenia too and I would agree that it is a stunning country. We came over the pass from Italy as well, what an amazing road.
Stayed at Kamp Koren near Kobarid in the Soca valley. A wonderful position but the hygeine leaved a bit to be desired which was a shame as the site itself was good.
Highly recommend Slovenia
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Re: Slovenia

Post by dave_aber » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:11 am

We stayed in Slovenia a couple of years ago - camping Bled at the opposite end of Lake Bled to the town of Bled was a cracking wee site. Good clean modern facilities, wifi, shop and restaurant on site, nice walk around the lake into town.

We also stayed at a campsite in Ljubljana called "Ljubljana Resort" for a couple of nights. The facilities here were older, but still clean and the site was really well run.

We left Slovenia from Bled taking a fairly long route round via Bovec and up to Kranska Gora over some awesome roads (I suspect the same roads you can come in from Italy on) and then over the northern Alps into Austria which really was an awesome drive.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Return to “Campsites”