Glen Brittle campsite on Skye

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Glen Brittle campsite on Skye

Post by mountainmummy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Just back from a 12 day trip to Glen Shiel, Syke, Gairloch, home (one night only to recharge batteries and clean the kids) then back to Skye.

Will try and post some more photos later but here's one of the Freda in Glen Brittle. We love this camp site.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
idetika
Bongolier

Re: Glen Brittle campsite on Skye

Post by idetika » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:44 am

Jealous! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Absolutely loved Glen Brittle, would go back tomorrow but it is sooo far away!

clutha
Bongolier

Post by clutha » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:43 pm

We were there middle of June. Fantastic place.

Checking in we were asked to go easy with water, I asked if their tanks were too small, was told about
how dry it had been!

That holiday (hired van) has convinced us to buy one.

Very good site, but hook ups are on the path to the bogs, so a bit public!
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:43 pm

It must be around 30 years since I was last at Glen Brittle camping in a tent, don't remember seeing any vans or motorhomes in those days. My main recollection was that the midges were awful and after comming off the hills and getting something to eat we could not get to the pub at Carbost fast enough. Returning to the campsite was always a bit of a blur, only instinct got us back to the campsite safely along that narrow twisting single track road in the dark. Hard to forget when I still have the road sign that I nicked as a souvenir on the way back one night. Oh! my miss spent youth.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Looks fabulous, how were the midges?? Got bitten to death last time we are on Skye.
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:14 am

briwy wrote:Looks fabulous, how were the midges?? Got bitten to death last time we are on Skye.
Does this answer you question :lol:

The EHU pitches aren't in the best location either but the weather was so bad when we were there we just didn't care.

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:17 am

briwy wrote:Looks fabulous, how were the midges?? Got bitten to death last time we are on Skye.
We didn't find the midges in the camp site itself too bad, we were camped up on the field and there's usually a bit of a breeze blowing so that helps a lot.

It was a different story however when my husband Donald suggested an evening walk up the hill towards the corrie so we could admire the scary mountains he'd been climbing.

I set off up the hill path behind the showers with the two kids, Donald nipped into the gents and said he'd catch us up.

It was a lovely evening, the kids were enjoying the walk, not a trace of a midge. We walked for about 5 minutes up the path then decided to wait for Donald. We turned around to see if he was on his way and that was it MIDGE ATTACK. The little beasts had lulled us into a false sense of safety, lured us up the path and then cut off our retreat.

It was absolutely unbelievable, the were in our ears, our eyes, up our noses, in our hair. The two kids promptly had hysterics, followed quickly by myself. Thank goodness Donald had appeared and realised something was wrong, else I would have had to abandon one child while I saved the other (a choice no mother should ever have to make).

Donald gallantly grabbed the four year old (the smaller of the two but the most noisy) and set off at a run down the hill towards the relative safety of the beach. I was left with a writhing, screaming five year old boy. The only way I could get him to move was by tying his jumper over his head to protect his face, then carrying him down as fast as I could with my eyes nearly closed.

By the time we made it to the beach the back of my son's neck was black with midges and my hair was literally crawling. On a plus point we suffered very few bites but this may have been because we were "skin so softed" and "smidged" up to the eyeballs!!

So the moral of this tale is never, ever go for a nice evening stroll up the hills behind the Glen Brittle campsite!

Don't let it put you off the site itself though, the midges are only out first thing in the morning and in the evening and as I said earlier they weren't too bad up on the field.

Sara.
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:33 am

mountainmummy wrote:
We didn't find the midges in the camp site itself too bad, we were camped up on the field and there's usually a bit of a breeze blowing so that helps a lot.

It was a different story however when my husband Donald suggested an evening walk up the hill towards the corrie so we could admire the scary mountains he'd been climbing.

I set off up the hill path behind the showers with the two kids, Donald nipped into the gents and said he'd catch us up.

It was a lovely evening, the kids were enjoying the walk, not a trace of a midge. We walked for about 5 minutes up the path then decided to wait for Donald. We turned around to see if he was on his way and that was it MIDGE ATTACK. The little beasts had lulled us into a false sense of safety, lured us up the path and then cut off our retreat.

It was absolutely unbelievable, the were in our ears, our eyes, up our noses, in our hair. The two kids promptly had hysterics, followed quickly by myself. Thank goodness Donald had appeared and realised something was wrong, else I would have had to abandon one child while I saved the other (a choice no mother should ever have to make).

Donald gallantly grabbed the four year old (the smaller of the two but the most noisy) and set off at a run down the hill towards the relative safety of the beach. I was left with a writhing, screaming five year old boy. The only way I could get him to move was by tying his jumper over his head to protect his face, then carrying him down as fast as I could with my eyes nearly closed.

By the time we made it to the beach the back of my son's neck was black with midges and my hair was literally crawling. On a plus point we suffered very few bites but this may have been because we were "skin so softed" and "smidged" up to the eyeballs!!

So the moral of this tale is never, ever go for a nice evening stroll up the hills behind the Glen Brittle campsite!

Don't let it put you off the site itself though, the midges are only out first thing in the morning and in the evening and as I said earlier they weren't too bad up on the field.

Sara.
:lol: Sorry to laugh, it's the way you tell it!
When we were packing up on a campsite on Harris we were literally inhaling midges, they were like a toxic cloud.
To be honest, they don't bother or bite me but my Glaswegian sister in law couldn't cope.
We still find dead midges in the roof every time we camp (3 years later!). :roll:
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:49 pm

Wonderful place Glen Brittle and I know that path well. Love the piccies, thank you.

A full-on midge attack is one of those things that you never ever forget.

I remember camping in Glen Etive, near the pier, and someone had left the Transit minibus door open when we were packing up in the morning------big mistake

The inside of the windscreen was thick black with the little darlings and it was sudden death to any human who dared enter their lair.

It never ceases to amaze me how much angst they cause even with smidge, deet, skin so soft, etc.

My advice, take up smoking a pipe.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:31 pm

Brilliant site,found it by driving down a road just to see whats at the end of it,as you do :o

[quote="idetika" ]
The EHU pitches aren't in the best location
[/quote]

When we booked in the guy asked if we wanted electric hook up

"No thanks"says I

"Good Man"he said

There was plenty pitches available,seems you get extra kudos for camping without electric here :wink:
all the same but different
clutha
Bongolier

Post by clutha » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:39 am

Just a wee update on the EHU's.

They are through a gate form the main campsite with a notice saying 'no tents' although a panel van beside us had an enormous dome tent which caused the 3 lads in it no end of bother trying to lash it down. The wind was pushing it down vertically as well trying to blow it away. So we had no bother with midges!

Because this EHU's area is relatively small all the foot traffic to the showers and loos passes close to parked vehicles, and it's all gravel.

This was our first campervan holiday and only our 2nd camp site. It was a pound or two dearer than the others we used but it was well equipped with a new shop and friendly staff. The grass area isn't flat but has loads of space and looks on to the shingle beach.
A very spectacular site for scenery.
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk

Return to “Campsites”