Free Camping

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

stuc
Supreme Being

Free Camping

Post by stuc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:15 pm

I have heard it is ok to camp in the Lake District anywhere over 1500ft for free can anyone confirm this or tell me what are the rules for free/wild camping. I wanna go over in a couple of weeks time.
Do what you like.Like what you do.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Free Camping

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:42 pm

A quick search suggests its illegal regardless of altitude :), although potentially tolerated.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic- ... gland.html

http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/visiting ... ildcamping
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:11 pm

stuc wrote:I have heard it is ok to camp in the Lake District anywhere over 1500ft for free can anyone confirm this or tell me what are the rules for free/wild camping. I wanna go over in a couple of weeks time.
stuc
This is really referring to camping in a tent as in backpacking, not Bongo type wildcamping.

If you have a look here you can download a list of wildcamping spots for motorhomes.
I think you have to register to get the file though.
http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/
There are loads shown in the Lakes.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:17 pm

cheers for those sites will have a good look through.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:21 pm

The same wrong assumption that "Wild camping" includes sleeping in a vehicle such as a Bongo or motorhome is also made in respect of Scotland.

The Scottish Outdoor Access Code states
Access rights do not extend to any motorised activities.
http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A342167.pdf

Wild Camping means a tent and effectively a tent used by a hiker or cyclist.
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:35 pm

To be honest folks if you were to stop for the night in some quiet layby I doubt very much if you would be troubled by the authorities..yobs..maybe,lol but during my 30 years as a police officer and seeing many many overnighters,lol neither I nor my colleagues bothered anyone, there was no reason to really, they were not harming anyone..what I did do tho was make a note of the reg number and if there was any mess in the morning then they got a rude summons in the post.
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:26 pm

That sounds fair to me, I was thinking of staying somewhere remote with nothing around so wouldn't be bothering anyone.
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 am

We've often 'Wild Camped', especially when traveling long distances, let common sense prevail.

Campsites don't want you arriving at 10 or 11 at night, and we don't want to pay an overnight fee to park for a few hours and not use any of the facilities.

This is very different to stopping somewhere you're not welcome for days on end.

David's approach is indeed good. old fashioned, Bobbying. Just what we like. =D>
Nibs
Bongolier

Post by Nibs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:47 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Hi Stuc, not been in touch for a while, just read your post and i often go over to Keswick to fish the river. If you go over the bridge in Keswick then past the petrol station on your left heading out of town, about five hundered yards after this a small side road on the left which takes you to Portinscale Bridge. You can wild camp there with no problems and its handy to walk into Keswick for food and drink.
Cheers Nibs
stuc
Supreme Being

Post by stuc » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Cheers for that Nibs, hope you are keeping ok. If you ever want to meet up for a pint just give me a shout.

Return to “Campsites”