camping and caravanning club

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

kentait
Bongonaut

camping and caravanning club

Post by kentait » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Is anyone on here a member of the camping and caravanning club (c&cc)?
We are thinking about joining, the cost is £41 per year. Being over 55 we would qualify for discounts of about 30% on certain sites at certain times.
the two of us could stay on a site for about £14p.n. This compares to £20-£28 other sites are charging. We could therefore recoup our outlay after about four nights.

Any thoughts?

ken & marilyn
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Re: camping and caravanning club

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:59 pm

I'm a member because it got me cheap insurance - the "over 55" saving is a bonus :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Likewise, the cheap insurance is worth the membership fee but they also have a lot of interesting sites available to members which is a bonus.
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Post by Bongoplod » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:45 am

francophile1947 wrote:I'm a member because it got me cheap insurance - the "over 55" saving is a bonus :lol:
John,is that `cos you have a conversion,or `cos you`re over 55 and have an unconverted Bongo?

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:06 am

They won't insure unconverted vehicles. We've been members of C&CC for 7 years and don't make full use of all they have to offer, but that have a good range of sites and there are a few other benefits such as money off at Towsure.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am

Worth joining if you camp a lot on their sites. However, you can easily rack up extra membership charges with special interest section fees.

I am in the Canoe Camping Club which I cannot join without first being a C & C Club member. The canoe campers were at the the very beginnings of the Camping Club, long before it went caravancentric. As things go I don't camp enough on club sites to even begin getting my money back. I don't benefit from the insurance as my Bongo is unconverted. I'm not currently interested in continental camping or D.A. actitities, least of all caravanning or reading about it, so the magazine is wasted on me. It would suit me fine if they offered a reduction for not taking the magazine.

Still, the age concession is a slight bonus on the rare occasions when I do use their sites and for the while I can afford to support what is basically a good organisation for people who fit their business profile better than I do.

Most of the time I stealth camp or use cheaper more basic sites.

As I say, worth joining if you can get your money's worth.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:39 am

Bongoplod wrote:
francophile1947 wrote:I'm a member because it got me cheap insurance - the "over 55" saving is a bonus :lol:
John,is that `cos you have a conversion,or `cos you`re over 55 and have an unconverted Bongo?

Brian
I had an unconverted Bongo which they wouldn't accept. I joined them when I became a Bongoner :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:18 pm

I've been a member of C&CC for about 10 years now. Don't use their insurance (unconverted). Find the age concession thing handy for keeping the cost down. Recently joined the CC (Caravan Club) before going to Scotland as they seemed to have a really good selection of sites (club and CLs) and found I used the CC more than C&CC whilst there.

I'll keep them both going for the year but may have to decide one or t'other when it comes to renewal time!

Despite believing CC people to be a little snobby in their sheds in the past, I now find that CC people are more friendly than C&CC people! Depends on where you stay really.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
alan
Supreme Being

Post by alan » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:57 pm

we been member for ages save us a lot of money but we use there temp hoildays site as there are even cheaper
take it easy drive a bongo
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:18 pm

Iv'e been a member of ccc for 15yrs now, for 1st year also a member of the CC then made choice.
Generally use temporary holiday sites and 5 van sites, occasionally DA's. Do not /will not pay £10 a night (no need to).
Now With bongo occasional wild camping on menu.
To reinforce the club motto, It really is the friendly club, mid u did find the exception that proves the rule, at one DA meet.
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:10 pm

the1andonly wrote:It really is the friendly club, mid u did find the exception that proves the rule, at one DA meet.
Same here (few years ago). I stayed at a DA meet, a big one, the only DA meet I've attended. We were regimented into strict rows, facing the same way, and no one, no one, spoke to me (on my own with dog) - am I that bad? And the dog was not allowed into the entertainment marquee! At all!

I ended up walking all day off site and listening to the bands from my sun canopy! Put me off DA meets, I can tell you.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Over the years have had good experiences with DA's just one bad one also had a CC "da" official tell me you cant Park there ( 4 hours before hand over) as we were packing up. Julian and "friend" amused me so much so I was not compliant somewhat also talked to George (you know who you are George) about their use of long hoses and non permitted permement connections to site water services. officious t--ssers need to be skw--ky clean
the1andonly
Tribal Elder

Post by the1andonly » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:12 pm

forgot to say
to kentait
both clubs
are worth joining
they both do great things within political circles to promote camping (tin boxes or not)
and allow us economical access to the countryside ( commercial sites are precisely that, commercial)
Special interest groups are precisely that: the Yamaha Owners Club is equally interested in XS650's YBR125. as it is in tuning forks.
SlowBo
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by SlowBo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:38 am

Hi,

What do other members of the C&CC think about the recent price hikes? They claim high season prices have dropped, but it isn't true. For some sites the base price may have gone down by £0.25 to £0.35, but the increase in hook-up negates this and results in an increase of £0.65 / £0.75. You then have to allow for the fact that each season now has a price range, so , taking West Runton or Scarborough as examples, this year they would have cost (11.95 + 3.85 = ) £15.80 per night, next year it will cost from (11.30 +4.85 = ) £16.15 to (12.95 + 4.85 = ) £17.80 per night. I don't see a £2 price increase as the 'price cut' they advertise.

The other change that will affect lots of folk is the new (yes, higher priced), 'shoulder season' that they now put each side of high season. As an example, a stay of a week at Sandringham in late June / early July this year would have been
7 * 9.35 (65.45) + 7 * 3.85 (26.95) = £92.40
Next year, the costs are:
7 * 11.30 (79.10) + 7 * 4.85 (33.95) = £113.05 an increase of 22%
or
7 * 12.95 (90.65) + 7 * 4.85 (33.95) = £124.60 an increase of 34%

Lets hope sufficient members email them to try and get some sense back in to the pricing.

In a video they released, they describe this as a "win win" situation! Only for them and their bank, I think!
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Price hike 2 weeks after we renewed. :mrgreen:

Not happy and will likely give it a miss next year.

Return to “Campsites”