Westonbirt Arboretum - Holford Arms pub, Knockdown

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Westonbirt Arboretum - Holford Arms pub, Knockdown

Post by Jillygumbo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:05 pm

I thought I would share this little gem with you all. I went to the Treefest at Westonbirt over the August BH weekend and stayed at this pub, where they put on a minibus to and from the festival.

It's a real ale pub that does food and has a large campsite at the back. There's two showers, housing a toilet in each (made your brain work then didn't I) and you can obviously use the pub's toilets when the back door is open.

I'm planning to go back there, possibly tomorrow for a night, to re-visit Westonbirt while the trees are turning.

The road from the pub to Westonbirt (A433) is busy and I would not recommend walking along it, but you can take quiet lanes and footpaths from the pub and obtain access along a byway and public footpath into Silk Wood. I am not recommending that you go in without paying your dues, but it makes for a good walk with the dog.

I actually joined Friends of Westonbirt Arboretum while I was at Treefest, which gives me free entry to Treefest next year, as well as a discount on joining by the return of one day's entry at the Fest!

The Festival was lovely. Very small, dog and family friendly with lovely beer and cider and food. Loads of unique items to purchase made out of wood, and you could even have a go at wood-turning yourself. There was a chainsaw carving competition, mad Welsh axeman and falconry displays. The music is provided by local bands and they were really good.
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Campsites”