Edinburgh Tattoo

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

haybal
Bongolier

Edinburgh Tattoo

Post by haybal » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi all,

We are looking at going to the Tattoo in August, can anyone recommend a site near by or with easy links to the castle.Any help/advise would be great.

Cheers

Barry
munroman
Tribal Elder

Re: Edinburgh Tattoo

Post by munroman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:32 pm

When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:05 pm

I'd recommend mortonhall also nice site ,short walk up to entrance and a bus straight into town,or take your vehicle part way and get the park and ride,like most major cities they don't want vehs into city centres
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:14 am

Drummohr caravan park in East Lothian, 20mins drive to the center of Edinburgh although in August parking is very difficult, it has a great bus service, and a park and ride which is (choice of bus or rail travel) located 2-3 mins drive away from campsite. The train journey is about 11mins to Princes st. (city Centre). Race Course 2 miles, coastline and beaches 2 miles, 22 golf courses within 25 mile radius, The Fort shopping mall 8 miles, don't know what else you plan to do but I have supplied a few example of what there is in the Area.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 am

Hi all,

Thankyou for your replies its given us a few places to look at, the main reason for a site for a night is security. 21.00 performance so probably wouldn't be back till 23.30 ish.

Are the park and ride safe/secure? The main reason i ask is because we will have a bongo full of gear, as we intend to go Fort William, Glencoe for a few days wild camping.
Any little spots,ideas,what to see in this area also welcome.
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:09 pm

It's one of these things you take your chances,they target all different places don't think anywheres safe nowadays it's just your luck sorry to say
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:49 pm

Never heard of any thefts at the park and ride I mentioned, but as the laird stated you never can be sure. Regarding when you are at the Fort William area, you could visit Neptunes staircase, Fort Augustus is not too far away, Loch Ness, Mallaig chairlift in Glencoe, lots to do in the area, hill walking, pleasure cruises etc.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:02 am

I would forget about using your Bongo in Edinburgh. You can't get them in the multi storey car parks and surface car parks are a bit out of the centre of the city and expensive. No mater which campsite use forget about using your Bongo and leave it on the campsite. Edinburgh is reputed to have one of the best bus services in the country ( well it is still run by the council), all day tickets cost £3.50 and there is a superb all night service which will suit you fine if you decide to go to a pub or a restraint after the tattoo.

I was at the Scottish Bash at Morton Hall which I found to be ok, but then I have heard good reports of Drummohr caravan park in East Lothian which is almost right on the Firth of Forth yet located within a walled garden.

Tony

http://lothianbuses.com/timetables-tick ... nd-tickets
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi all,

Thankyou for your replies and info, think we are now all sorted :D

Staying at Drummohr campsite for the night, short walk to the bus stop No 26 bus to Princes street. Following day over to Chanonry Point (hopefully see some dolphins), to Inverness, then down West coast wild camping where we can.
Special thanks to Jim for the kind offer =D>

Cheers
Barry

Return to “Campsites”