Any campsite recommendations for West Coast Scotland?

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Any campsite recommendations for West Coast Scotland?

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Hi

Hoping to take off with kids (5 and 7) this weekend and fancy trying somewhere new.

Intending to head off after work on Thursday and try our first ever wildcamp behind the Kings House in Glencoe. Not really sure where to go next though, so looking for suggestions.

We know and love the Red Squirrel in Glencoe, Glen Brittle on Skye, The Croft at Arisaig and Big Sands at Gairloch but fancy a change. I'd quite like to be on or near the coast as a beach is always good fun for the kids.

Any suggestions?

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Tweeky
Apprentice Bongonaut

Re: Any campsite recommendations for West Coast Scotland?

Post by Tweeky » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Here's a place I've been to and enjoyed.

http://www.applecross.uk.com/campsite/
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Try strontian onich ferry £7.90 and wild camped.have you tried the folk museum at Newtonmore .82acres ,different periods,f.o.c or donations
mulshy
Bongolier

Post by mulshy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Clachtoll up in Assynt

http://www.discoverassynt.co.uk/viewdet ... rf=cat_145

Only driven past it a few times,it is in a fantastic location though
all the same but different
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:23 pm

Assynt is really a great place, been up there a few times to climb the Munros and do voluntary work for the John Muir Trust. You will find lots of stretches of old road like at the Kingshouse for you to pull into, but be warned the Midges in Assynt can be very bad so take some sort of midge netting in case you need to open the windows. If the midges get too much you can retreat here for a night. http://www.inch-lodge.co.uk/ Been there a few times myself its a very easy going place, you have to take the track past its door to reach Conival and Ben More Assynt which are climbed together.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:08 am

I know the thread title is asking for campsite recommendations, we haven’t stayed on many proper campsites in the area as there’s too much prime wild-camping available. I assume you’re meaning the mainland, or islands available via bridges. I’d recommend:

Oban Caravan & Camping Park just south of Oban on the Gallanach Road, handy for all the local attractions

Kinloch campsite, Isle of Skye, handy for Dunvegan castle and the NW of Skye

As for wild-camping, try:

East Tarbet, Mull of Galloway – a beautiful part of the country

Machrihanish, Kintyre

The west bank of Loch Linnhe, north of the Corran ferry with views to Ben Nevis

Castle Tioram, the castle itself is now fenced off but there’s lots of water to explore

Loch Nan Ceall – Follow the coast south from Arisaig, it’s a dead-end but beautiful :wink:

Applecross as has been mentioned, but just camp on the beach

Near Loch Glencoul, about halfway between Ullapool and Durness, there’s wild-camping everywhere.

What about the Slate Islands? Over the bridge to Seil and then jump on the passenger ferry to Easdale for a swift one in the Puffer. Plenty of places to stop on Seil or Luing.
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Donald is very keen to wild camp but I feel a bit nervous about it :?

I quite fancy the Ardnamurchan Campsite, will let you know where we end up.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:09 pm

I understand your hesitation, campsites have facilities etc, but try it, wild-camping is free, and, looking at the pics above, which is the best view to wake up to in the morning? :wink:

Even Mrs Muz is into it, you know it makes sense :D
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Wed May 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Muzorewa wrote:I understand your hesitation, campsites have facilities etc, but try it, wild-camping is free, and, looking at the pics above, which is the best view to wake up to in the morning? :wink:

Even Mrs Muz is into it, you know it makes sense :D
Some lovely pics there Muzorewa, we are going to the Edinburgh Tattoo in August then up to Chanonry Point to maybe see the dolphins. We want to wild camp down the West coast from Inverness-Oban, but would prefer the not so touristy route.
Suggestions/co-ordinates of places to stop over would be great.

Cheers
Barry
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Wed May 14, 2014 2:23 pm

I’d head north-west out of Inverness and take the A832 through Muir of Ord, Contin, Gorstan & Achnasheen, then the A896 to Kinlochewe, Torridon & Shieldaig and then follow the coast around to Applecross. Wild-camp on the beach at Applecross then head to Lochcarron over the Bealach na Ba (the pass of the cattle). From Lochcarron to Strathcarron, Stromeferry, and over the Skye bridge. Then back to the mainland on the Kyle Rhea to Glenelg ferry (really worth doing) which then sends you over the magnificent Mam Ratagan Pass to Shiel Bridge, and then the A87 through to Invergarry and the A82 to Fort William. Then I’d head through Glen Coe, wild-camp by the King’s House Hotel and then go on the B8074 to join the A85 at Inverlochy and then on to Oban.

See map below, the direct route (blue) down the great glen is 110 miles and about 3 hours driving. The Team Muz scenic route (red) is 290 miles and about 9 hours driving, but with some sights to behold on the way :D

Alternatively, (green) instead of the Glenelg ferry, leave Skye at Armadale on the Mallaig ferry then head towards Fort William but go south on the A861 around the west side of Loch Linnhe, great views of Ben Nevis, and then the Corran ferry to get you to Glen Coe.

Check out the pics in this link, a lot of the places are covered there :wink:
haybal
Bongolier

Post by haybal » Wed May 14, 2014 7:23 pm

Muzorewa wrote:I’d head north-west out of Inverness and take the A832 through Muir of Ord, Contin, Gorstan & Achnasheen, then the A896 to Kinlochewe, Torridon & Shieldaig and then follow the coast around to Applecross. Wild-camp on the beach at Applecross then head to Lochcarron over the Bealach na Ba (the pass of the cattle). From Lochcarron to Strathcarron, Stromeferry, and over the Skye bridge. Then back to the mainland on the Kyle Rhea to Glenelg ferry (really worth doing) which then sends you over the magnificent Mam Ratagan Pass to Shiel Bridge, and then the A87 through to Invergarry and the A82 to Fort William. Then I’d head through Glen Coe, wild-camp by the King’s House Hotel and then go on the B8074 to join the A85 at Inverlochy and then on to Oban.

See map below, the direct route (blue) down the great glen is 110 miles and about 3 hours driving. The Team Muz scenic route (red) is 290 miles and about 9 hours driving, but with some sights to behold on the way :D

Alternatively, (green) instead of the Glenelg ferry, leave Skye at Armadale on the Mallaig ferry then head towards Fort William but go south on the A861 around the west side of Loch Linnhe, great views of Ben Nevis, and then the Corran ferry to get you to Glen Coe.

Check out the pics in this link, a lot of the places are covered there :wink:

WOW... that's exactly what we were looking for,been on google maps having a peek at red route and it looks amazing.
Thanks so much Muzorewa =D>

Cheers
Barry
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Wed May 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Another vote for Applecross.

Stunning views, free camping on the beach, tap provided and fires allowed.

Loos and decent pub in village ten mis walk.

We loved it.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Wed May 14, 2014 10:56 pm

One of the 'must visit' places in Britain.

Years ago I found a supplement in a magazine detailing three scenic routes, one in Wales, Abergwesyn to Tregaron, and two in Scotland, The pass of the Cattle leading to Applecross and the other one was the route over Ratagan Forest to Glenelg from whence the logical choice is the small ferry to Skye.

I've done the Tregaron run 'umpteen times but the Applecross run only twice and Ratagan Forest only once. None of them in the Bongo!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Campsites”