Camp sites..again

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Camp sites..again

Post by Dr Fingers » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:25 am

Seems like lots of sites are insisting on minimum 2 nights on weekend stays round my way. Is this true nationwide? Planning a week away and just need single night stopovers en route.

Derek
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Camp sites..again

Post by Muzorewa » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:39 am

A lot say that but then don't enforce it, especially if you haven't booked and just turn up - if they've got space they'd be crazy to turn you away :wink:
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:41 am

Agree with Muzz.

Is wild camping an option for you when travelling? Generally best if you're arriving latish and off reasonably early. :wink:

This may be worth a look.

http://www.britstops.com
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:23 am

Bob wrote:Agree with Muzz.

Is wild camping an option for you when travelling? Generally best if you're arriving latish and off reasonably early. :wink:
Go one stage further. On waking up, move to another location to park up and have breakfast etc. Make everyone think that you have been there all night, in the smug knowledge that you haven't.

This is particularly satisfying in places which have 'No Overnight Sleeping' signs'.

For my sleeping stops, I look for quiet residential roads with other parked vehicles for cover but preferably adjacent to a high wall etc. where one is not directly outside any particular house. Don't use roads where every empty space is likely to be fought over. I tip the driving seat flat and slide into the back without making a noise opening doors or showing lights. A pop up blind with a black exterior placed in the windscreen blocks the through view and fools all but the very observant. Another one in the back completes the deception. In general, parking in such a place attracts less attention than being the only vehicle in an open area.

Otherwise, I usually manage to get an unbooked Saturday night pitch on touring sites unless they have no room at all.

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
idetika
Bongolier

Post by idetika » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:58 pm

We never book campsites and always find somewhere, although we're not that fussy, a toilet is luxury :lol:
We also use a lot of Camping and Caravan Club CS sites who rarely have a two-night policy.
psquiddy
Bongolier

Post by psquiddy » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 pm

I dont recall anywhere we have been having a 2 night minimum policy. We would probably avoid them if they did.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:57 am

just spent a good night at the Runt in Tun ,

http://www.runtintun.co.uk/

CCC Adults only, can't fault it, quiet, spotless and £12 a night for 2 and dog, good fresh pub food as well. Highly rec'd if you're over that way. CCC adults only seems the way to go for us, one night bookings no problem. It seems it's the 'glamping' type sites that are pushing for 2 night stays, at least, they are around here.

Also Wessons Cafe, Horam, is just 5 minutes away: bikers caff with a legendary very Full English @ £5:50, including mug of tea. Awesome place :D

Derek
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:43 pm

if only we had Aires like in France..... I find them useful... Shame UK folk are so uneasy about such an idea
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Campsites”