Campsite recommendations near Tavistock?

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

MW0CBC
Junior Bongonaut

Campsite recommendations near Tavistock?

Post by MW0CBC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am

Well, having picked up our first Freda last night, we are heading to Devon on Sunday to do a small inspection job between Mary Tavey and Lamerton, just north of Tavistock, on Monday morning. Does anyone have a recommendation of where we might park up on Sunday night (somewhere not to far from where we're working) and on Monday night, somewhere towards Dartmoor, on the way back to the M5? Don't mind if its an official site, or somewhere less formal, but within walking distance of a pub would be nice :D

Thanks in advance,

Denis (Chepstow)

www.wyedean-ecology.com
janie
Bongolier

Re: Campsite recommendations near Tavistock?

Post by janie » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:40 pm

You can park beind the castle inn in Lydford - we usually have a meal or at least a couple of drinks and let them know behind the bar that we're staying.
MW0CBC
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MW0CBC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:46 pm

That looks lovely - thanks Janie
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:32 pm

janie wrote:You can park beind the castle inn in Lydford - we usually have a meal or at least a couple of drinks and let them know behind the bar that we're staying.
That's worth remembering, thanks
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!
MW0CBC
Junior Bongonaut

Post by MW0CBC » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:58 am

So, our first venture out in the Freda was a great success. A mixture of work (well, two hours on Monday morning) and some hill walking. We chickened out of off-piste camping on Sunday night, and stayed at Harford Bridge which was excellent. Very clean, quiet, and a good experience all round.

We did a long walk on Sunday afternoon, and as we walked down off the moor into Peter Tavy, I noticed this tucked away little parking spot in an old quarry. We didn't use it this time, but it's filed away for future reference. Location is SX 5218 7787. I think it would make an excellent over-night stop...and you could walk to the pub in the village in 15 minutes.

Monday night we took Janie's advice and went for the Castle Inn. We asked first if it would be OK, and the landlady was very quick to say 'yes'. Just opposite the pub is a public car park, with a small toilet block, which one local told me was open 24/7....very handy.

We had a couple of pints, and a meal in the pub. The steak and ale pie (they do a version with blue cheese too) was amazing. a huge slab of home-made pie, absolutely stuffed with meat. I can shift a big meal after a long walk on the moors but I cam close to not finishing this one. My missus had the crayfish tails and the bit of that I pinched was great to.

Thank you so much for your recommendation. As a result, we had a great experience. I'm hoping that this little job we did will lead to another piece of work in the area, so we may even get to repeat the whole experience again later in the month :)

Best wishes

Denis

Return to “Campsites”