Probably the best little campsite on the edge of the LD

Stayed at a good site? Or a really poor one? And what about wild camping? Put your comments here.

Moderator: westonwarrior

bongogirlkim
Apprentice Bongonaut

Probably the best little campsite on the edge of the LD

Post by bongogirlkim » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:06 pm

As a novice camper and new bongo girl I have been having a great time this summer visiting campsites throughout the Lake District and recently came across a cracker of a site on my doorstep.

Firstly, this is probably the best little campsite we have been to all summer. And to add to this, it is only a 25 drive from home. We set off on Saturday afternoon in glorious sunshine and after getting a little lost, we stopped off at the Broughton TIC and the kind lady gave us directions, but we still managed to take the wrong fork in the road. We carried on towards Woodland and eventually ended up at the Parish Hall. After a quick phone call to the owner of the campsite we were redirected back up the hill to the fork in the road and took the road signposted Grizebeck which took us straight to the campsite.

Although small, the facilities were basic but good. Indeed, it had its own barn where you could charge your phone, use a hairdryer etc. The old barn also had a freezer and fridge available to campers.

The big bonus for me was you were allowed to have a camp fire. In fact, a number of fire pits were available to use. We had our own (now that I am a seasoned, well, a one season, camper).

This is a great little campsite if you have small children as it is road free and has a small area where children can play on a swing. Also the owners two little dogs roam freely, along with a couple of ducks, or were they geese.

All in all, well worth a repeat visit. We didn’t take our awning, first time ever. Instead we tried out our sun canopy (cos the sun was actually out for a short while anyway).

You can walk to the village of Broughton, that has an award winning bakery (although it was shut due to illness) and a couple of nice pubs and not forgetting the lovely TIC. The walk starts off a little rough in places, but soon evens out and takes about 25 minutes. But remember your torch as one camper lost her way a little and ended up in a nearby field.

Check out my blog: bongogirl.wordpress.com
Bongoplod
Supreme Being

Re: Probably the best little campsite on the edge of the LD

Post by Bongoplod » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Howzabout posting the name of the campsite,and address or link?? :)

Brian
Confucious once said " To be fluent in Bongolese is to hold the key to the world!"
PixieAndTheMoon
Supreme Being

Post by PixieAndTheMoon » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:04 pm

At a guess I would say Moss Side Farm Brian.

Jo x
Jillygumbo
Supreme Being

Post by Jillygumbo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:45 am

Looks like my type of campsite. Have saved it for later
Jillygumbo, Tonto & Ruca
The night conceals the world, but reveals the universe!

Return to “Campsites”