Bongo and Baby

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

BillieWilma

Re: Bongo and Baby

Post by BillieWilma » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Hello all - I'm new! So new that I haven't event written a profile yet but I will. In the meantime - I'm Leigh from Bucks and I am picking up my Bongo from Imperial on Thursday...can't flippin wait! I have 2 babies - (a 3 year old and a 1 year old)...and an English Bull Terrier - and a big Fiance so its gonna be cosy in our Bongo!! We've ordered a childs bed which fits above the cab. I've not seen one but apparantly they convert the roof so that the babies sleep in the front roof section but its left open so you can get to them in the night if you need to. It also means that there is no hatch for them to roll over. Its fitted with a lip so they can't roll out in the night. I'm not sure if it will work for us - it might be rubbish, in which case we'll get it reverted back. I'm planning on putting the bigger one in a ready bed, and the smaller one in a pop up travel cot.

I don't think its too cold for babies...but I'm a mean mummy! I do also have lots of blankets, sleeping bags, hats, gloves, fleeces...and if it worst comes to the worst, we'll all squash in together.

I'll let you know what the bed is like after Thursday but it may offer some sort of solution....or not!

Looking forward to meeting you all on this forum over the coming months

L
xxx
rabbitsquasher

Post by rabbitsquasher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:59 am

Hi Leigh! welcome aboard and good luck with the bongo, baby, big baby and errr the bigger babies :P
miker

Post by miker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Our solution for the little fella.....Image
Just make sure the top of the front 'bar' is securly attached to the top of the roof frame or he rolls the whole thing into our laps at abput 3 am!
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:28 pm

Any chance of a slightly bigger pic please?
Beyond A to B
Sluggy

Post by Sluggy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:15 pm

miker wrote:Our solution for the little fella.....Image
Just make sure the top of the front 'bar' is securly attached to the top of the roof frame or he rolls the whole thing into our laps at abput 3 am!
thats what we use, the samsonite travel cot, it fits perfectly in that space.
how do you secure yours exactly? we've only used it once and with the lid down inside but the hatch open so we can get up there if need be and she can't roll onto it but it won't fit through the hole if she does tip it.
Tibbles

Post by Tibbles » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:20 am

Our son is currently 17 months old and happily sleeps in the front section of the roof and has done since 10 months. We had a cot matress made to measure from these people - [urhttp://www.babymattressesonline.co.uk/products ... ucts.htmll][/url]
We then use a bed guard like this one - http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-so ... 1&mcb=core to stop him falling down. We lower the bigger hatch (with the small hatch open for checking) to rest against the bed guard as an extra precaution. When we started doing this, and I was still worried about him falling out, we used a bungy net to fill the space between the top of the bed guard and the roof. But after many nights he has not yet thrown himself over the top. Although there is of course still time!

Temperature is a bit tricky. When we went in November and temperatures dropped to below freezing we had to keep our heater on fairly high all night to make sure the temperature up top was OK. Lots of layers and some rolled up towels to stop him sleeping against the cold canvas sides were needed. As yet we haven't had excessive heat to deal with. I don't know how I feel about having the canvas open in the top when he is up there.

Oh sorry for the essay but it was the one thing which did give me nightmares when we started bongoing so hope that helps! Lucy
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Well we have just come back from 4 night stay at Perranporth with out 10 week old baby :D
We slept on the middle and 2 front seats, with Ruby in a mama's & papa's travel cot in the back with the two fold up seats up. Worked for us 8) :D
Keep the Faith

mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:27 pm

maxheadroom wrote:Well we have just come back from 4 night stay at Perranporth with out 10 week old baby :D
:D
Why did you come back without the Baby?
maxheadroom
Supreme Being

Post by maxheadroom » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:15 pm

mobilecat wrote:
maxheadroom wrote:Well we have just come back from 4 night stay at Perranporth with out 10 week old baby :D
Bugger I knew I forgot something :lol: :lol: well spotted mobilecat I should read before pressing submit :lol: :lol:
Keep the Faith

mobilecat
Supreme Being

Post by mobilecat » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:26 am

maxheadroom wrote:
mobilecat wrote:
Bugger I knew I forgot something :lol: :lol: well spotted mobilecat I should read before pressing submit :lol: :lol:
I also have a special knack of forgetting to proof read my posts :)
mayk19
Bongolier

Post by mayk19 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Leigh (BillieWilma), how did you get on with your conversion ? Do you have any pics and is it something you can buy online ?

Cheers,

Simon.
Hi im Simon
amy2745
Junior Bongonaut

Post by amy2745 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a luggage net like that?? I know this is an old post but it's the perfect solution for us!
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:52 pm

If you mean the pop up travel cot that fits sideways at the front of the roof space, we've got a cheaper version of this (looks like an exact copy, but 1/3 the price). http://www.babyshackdirect.com/Out%20&% ... tAodHVUA0w

Slightly cheaper alt. http://www.daisybabyshop.co.uk/travel-c ... tAod-WkAyA

It's pretty nifty and compact.
Beyond A to B
amy2745
Junior Bongonaut

Post by amy2745 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:54 pm

It was the net really that im struggling to find!?

Thanks
Alison01326
Supreme Being

Post by Alison01326 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:39 pm

amy2745 wrote:It was the net really that im struggling to find!?

Thanks
They're all over the place. Lidl sometimes do them, Halfords probably sell them.

Google "cargo net"
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)

Return to “Bongoing with Children”