Bongo birthday

A series of day meetings on Sunday 10th May to celebrate 25 years of the Mazda Bongo

Moderator: Jillygumbo

marionw
Bongolier

Bongo birthday

Post by marionw » Fri May 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Well said tribute to Bongo anniversary in your newsletter Ian.
I’ll be raising a glass with you later =D>
Bob
Supreme Being

Re: Bongo birthday

Post by Bob » Fri May 08, 2020 6:39 pm

First glass raised. 8)

A little while ago. :lol:
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 08, 2020 9:57 pm

I'll raise you a bottle then;
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Fri May 08, 2020 10:17 pm

Spitfire flypast?

We had the Red Arrows in London!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Fri May 08, 2020 10:29 pm

Indeed they flew over my Bongo this very afternoon! Click this link for set http://www.sphericalvisions.com/picture ... 5/20200508

Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Sun May 10, 2020 4:51 pm

I do love the sound of a Spitfire engine! Someone should pop one in a Bongo, it would be a great 25th birthday present!
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm

Doone wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:51 pm I do love the sound of a Spitfire engine! Someone should pop one in a Bongo, it would be a great 25th birthday present!
I have been lucky enough to hear that sound very frequently as they were flying a two seater out of Biggin Hill several times a day for the last couple of years, usually out over QE2 Bridge until the winter days got short. They resumed this year for a few times
before the lock down.

The sight and sound of any Spitfire means a great deal to me as my father flew them in the early days of the Battle of Britain. On August 16th 1940 his aircraft (X4016) was destroyed by enemy fire near Bembridge IOW while the squadron were defending Portsmouth. After parachuting into the sea he was picked up following several hours in the water with a punctured Mae West. Lucky to survive otherwise somebody other than me would be owning the Bongo with the Diplomat sticker on the back!

On the 9th of May 1945 my grandparents in Jersey were liberated from German occupation, the day after VE Day. Really disappointing that I couldn't be there for the 75th anniversary.

I drove the Bongo on both days. It's my Merlin engine!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Sun May 10, 2020 10:00 pm

Really interesting to hear such humbling family history.

Respect to everyone involved in the conflict, we all owe our freedom to them.
Allans
Bongolier

Post by Allans » Tue May 12, 2020 6:32 pm

Very interested to read that Frank! My father-in-law was in the Fleet Air Arm in WW2. He worked on the Supermarine Seafire. That was a naval version of the Supermarine Spitfire adapted for use on aircraft carriers. We wouldn't be here without what they all did.
Servicing Bongos since 2003 in Plymouth, Devon http://www.allansvehicleservices.co.uk
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Diplomat wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:44 pm
Doone wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:51 pm I do love the sound of a Spitfire engine! Someone should pop one in a Bongo, it would be a great 25th birthday present!
I have been lucky enough to hear that sound very frequently as they were flying a two seater out of Biggin Hill several times a day for the last couple of years, usually out over QE2 Bridge until the winter days got short. They resumed this year for a few times
before the lock down.

The sight and sound of any Spitfire means a great deal to me as my father flew them in the early days of the Battle of Britain. On August 16th 1940 his aircraft (X4016) was destroyed by enemy fire near Bembridge IOW while the squadron were defending Portsmouth. After parachuting into the sea he was picked up following several hours in the water with a punctured Mae West. Lucky to survive otherwise somebody other than me would be owning the Bongo with the Diplomat sticker on the back!

On the 9th of May 1945 my grandparents in Jersey were liberated from German occupation, the day after VE Day. Really disappointing that I couldn't be there for the 75th anniversary.

I drove the Bongo on both days. It's my Merlin engine!

Frank
Great to read that Frank. I’ve just finished reading Geoffrey Wellum’s ’First Light’ a wonderfully honest autobiographical account by someone caught up in the Battle of Britain flying a Spitfire at age 19. Ye gods! My dad was a Lanc pilot and I was told many stories by his crew.
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 pm

My dad was a Lanc pilot and I was told many stories by his crew.
Mike, my uncle was a tail gunner in a Lanc. He never really settled afterwards and ended up in NZ. We're lucky to only be asked to sit at home and wait out a virus.
Allan's closed. We recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services in Plymouth.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed May 13, 2020 4:51 pm

Doone wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 pm
My dad was a Lanc pilot and I was told many stories by his crew.
Mike, my uncle was a tail gunner in a Lanc. He never really settled afterwards and ended up in NZ. We're lucky to only be asked to sit at home and wait out a virus.
So true. I think my dad joined for the adventure but i suspect he demobbed feeling a bit different. He never flew again and never talked about it much.
marionw
Bongolier

Post by marionw » Thu May 14, 2020 10:59 am

So great hearing the experiences of your families in the War.
Very moving.
I never understand how what we are experiencing can be compared to what was suffered during the war.
Our parents and grandparents went through six years of not knowing what would happen next.
My Mum lived a couple of streets from Covent Garden.She lived through the blitz.
Slightly different from sitting in our houses???

Return to “National Bongo Day 2020”