Waxoil + mud'n'stuff =?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

missfixit70
Supreme Being

Waxoil + mud'n'stuff =?

Post by missfixit70 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:45 pm

This is probably a really daft question (my speciality) but has been niggling away in me noggin for a couple of days (very boring life) so I thought I'd better ask the question.
As I understand it, waxoyl doesnt go hard, so I'm imagining a gunky coating under the car that will end up with mud/grit/ small animals/children stuck in it, is this the case? does it require a gentle hosing, can it withstand a pressure wash or does all the crap that gets flung up off the road just fall off due to its oily greasy slickness? :?
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:30 am

Any children stuck to it should be peeled off and posted back home
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:42 am

It's just like any other greasy surface - it gets covered in dust and the surface is no longer sticky.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
sandstone
Bongonaut

Waxoyl characteristics

Post by sandstone » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:20 pm

I have waxoyled other vehicles and had my bongo waxoyled by a body shop.
When I have applied it myself it has taken some time to harden, and it could be smeared off with a finger for a few days.
For the bongo the body shop put it in their paint oven and after a few hours quite a hard coat had built up, but it was just possible to scrape through the coat with a fingernail. Basically it looks as though it remains flexible underneath for a long time, which is good for protection, but gets a harder skin quick under the right temperature conditions. If you want the DIY version to harden up quickly you should put it in a oven, or do it in very hot weather.
For the bongo much of the underfloor is away from direct pressure from road water, except the wheel arches, where I would either have a body shop do a quick harden job, or paint on one of the underbody seals which are chip resistant.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:28 pm

My bongo is getting undersealed at the moment,i'm to pick her up from the garage tomorrow afternoon. Should i leave it till a dry day to pick her up do ya reckon? Ive enough on my plate driving from pemberton to whelley without getting smashed into as it is, without having to swerve away from the pools of standing water too! :shock:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014

Return to “Techie Stuff”