EGR removal - adverse effects?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

missfixit70
Supreme Being

EGR removal - adverse effects?

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:25 pm

Have just about decided to remove my egr (black sludge seping from air inlet manifold :( ) but am still slightly worried that it may have adverse effects. Vaguely remember when I was researching buying a galaxy/sharan/alhambra (sorry, seemed like a good idea at the time :roll: ) that problems with the egr caused turbo bearing overheating & failure on a regular basis. Not sure that it was similar set up to the bongo as I can't see that this could have an effect on the turbo as it takes the exhaust gas & dumps it back in the air inlet ( am I right so far?). Are there any possible adverse effects of removal?
Cheers :D
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm

I have disabled mine and I don't belive there are any adverse affects.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Veg_Ian

Post by Veg_Ian » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:50 pm

That's right. No adverse effect for this type of diesel engine. Different setup on a petrol-engined vehicle. I've run egr disabled vehicles for over 6 years and no ill-effects.
neepboy
Bongolier

Post by neepboy » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:06 pm

I'm new to bongos but have had Pajeros and Hilux Surfs. The Word is in their community that the egr system allows the head to run cooler and therefore is less likely to crack....but you know how it is, there's always someone ready to disagree...I don't know myself to be honest (and my surf cracked a head with the egr in place)

Return to “Techie Stuff”