Disabling EGR System - IMPORTANT WARNING!

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

RobnKathryn

Disabling EGR System - IMPORTANT WARNING!

Post by RobnKathryn » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:15 pm

I disabled my egr system last November, and in previous threads I described how I did this by inserting a coin at the point where the EGR pipe meets the inlet manifold at the 'elbow' joint.

I hope you haven't but if by chance you have also used this method, REMOVE THE COIN ASAP!!!! If you were planning to use this method DON'T.

I am currently taking my engine apart to remove lots of fragments of coin from inside the cylinder head so I can't understate the importance of using another method.

I'm not saying yoyu shouldn't disable the EGR...just don't do it the way I did it. There plenty of other safe and sensible ways to do it.

Rob
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:19 pm

I read about your problems and dashed for a 20cent coin, because I blocked mine with a 2p coin. The 20cent is a lot smaller than the 2p and I'm surprised it was big enough to block the EGR in the first place. Have checked mine and it's still well solid.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Baldeagle

EGR

Post by Baldeagle » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:27 am

francophile1947 wrote:I read about your problems and dashed for a 20cent coin, because I blocked mine with a 2p coin. The 20cent is a lot smaller than the 2p and I'm surprised it was big enough to block the EGR in the first place. Have checked mine and it's still well solid.
Hi guys, so sorry to hear of your probs with the blocking of the EGR.
Being a newbie but having had Pajeros and a Delica in the past and blocking both of those I knew what a difference it makes.
I decided therefore to do it properly and on a visit to Devon,carried on to Allans vehicle Services in Plymouth and buy two of his blanking plates.
Very nice and helpful guy by the way.maybe £12 is a little bit more expensive than the 2p but having read what has happened in your case I am glad I did, a little fiddly to fit, especially if you have a bad back!! but the desired result.
I truly hope when you get right inside the engine the damage is not too severe,fingers crossed for you.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:16 pm

Just did my egr today using Nick Skidmore's plug & blanking plate, bit of a faff removing all the bits, but didn't take more than a couple of hours including taking all the gubbins off under the console so i could have a good look round. Looks nice & tidy, few kilos of scrap to get rid of now, egr valve anyone?
Was tempted to go the whole hog & take off the air inlet manifold to clean it out (minging :? ), but enthusiasm was waning in an inversely proportional relationship to scraped knuckles, so figured I'd cut my losses & box it offas a job well done, not been for a run as sunny afternoon cider beckoned 8)
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
DaveG

Post by DaveG » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:33 pm

I blanked mine (or the car's) off using Allans Vehicle Services plates while on holiday. It only took 20 minutes as I had easy access to the four bolts, dead easy. The black smoke and surging have gone completely and it seems quieter too. The plates come with simple to follow instructions. The car seems more economical over the last 2000 miles and I am in the process of doing an accurate check.
neil/di
Bongolier

Post by neil/di » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:48 pm

I blanked mine off with one of Allans kits fits well with good instructions
Neil
A Bongos is not just for christmas
David Edwards
Supreme Being

Post by David Edwards » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:27 pm

Aint blocked it, never gomnna block it, if it was meant to have been done then I am sure Mazda would have done it for me. If it aint broke then don't bloody try and fix it. Happy motoring.
Gungadon

Disabling EGR system - Important Warning

Post by Gungadon » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:05 am

David Edwards

Spot On Mate!
Vanmanerik

EGR Valve

Post by Vanmanerik » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:39 pm

But its OK to run a Bongo on Veggy Oil though???????
daveblueozzie
Supreme Being

Post by daveblueozzie » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:38 pm

ive got a blanking kit from nick skidmore (via bigdaddycain he got one as well) are there any photos as to what im supposed to be looking at, :? and which bit im chucking out. :shock: sorry im crap with engines just about know where the diesel goes. :lol:
Lost without my Bongo.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:21 am

Thought BDC was fitting it for ya ?:roll: I found all the piccies I needed on here, but I'm stuffed if I can remember where. the screw in plug goes in at the back end of thr turbo under the passenger seat, you may be able to get ashifting spanner or big stilsons on the 36mm coupling nut thing, there was plenty of room around mine. The pipe ( @20mm diameter ish) then goes around the back of the engine where it bolts onto the actual egr v/v then comes forward under the injector pipwork running along the upper side of the engine under drivers side, where it then bolts onto the top of the air inlet at the front of the engine, the flange is the same size as the one in the kit. If you cut the pipe a couple of inches forward of the egr v/v, you should be able to firkle the pipework out ok with just one cut. I cut the small plastic pipe ( careful - brittle) back a few inches to where it was a bit more flexible & screwed in a 6mm bolt I think. Egr V/v & bracket removed completely.
Don't dismantle/cut anything until you have undone the 36mm coupling nut after soaking it well in penetrating oil/wd40 type stuff.
Not too difficult, distinct bloody knuckle possibilities, good luck 8)
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:31 am

Hi Kirsty, Thanks for the tips, i only had time to drop the kit off to dbo, whilst i was on the way to work, we had chance to have a VERY quick "shufty" at the e.g.r. pipework, (via the driver's side) I simply followed the pipe around till it dissapeared out of sight (and out of reach).

We were trying to establish the flange on which the blanking plug ultimately goes into, (for the benefit of soaking it in wd40 overnight)

i'll be popping round to dbo's around dinnertime tomorrow,so the blind really can lead the blind! :shock:

The words, "of", "hash" , "make" , "a" and ""it" spring to mind :lol:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014

Return to “Techie Stuff”