V6 and the Coolant Alarm Kit

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Ian
Supreme Being

V6 and the Coolant Alarm Kit

Post by Ian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:47 pm

There has been an exchange of emails and phone calls about this, so I thought I would move the discussion here so everyone can share their opinions.

Gungadon wants to know if the Alarm System will fit the V6. I told him I thought it was OK, but I would check with Haydn first.

Haydn has said "I would need to know if the header tank is pressurized. Would it be possible to take some photo's of the tank and top hose where it leaves the radiator. Failing this do you know anyone in the Somerset area who has one?"

So it's over to you lot.
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:55 pm

You could always drive yours down when you have a bit of spare time Ian :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm

It's parked outside, fully valeted and scrubbed up like a brass farthing, awaiting a buyer....it's not going anywhere.

But I can take a photo in the morning if you want Haydn.
cheffy34
Supreme Being

Post by cheffy34 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:09 pm

I have been contimplating this idea aswell Ian, glad i didnt just go ahead now, i no when i bought mine the man said to me it was a pressurised system to be honest i never even gave it a thought didnt realise it would be a problem, the man i bought off was really clued up on them aswell it was him who informed me about the club, forum, insurance & the things to watch for in a bongo especialy the bad things, MAYBE YOUR ON THIS FORUM SOMEWHERE ROBBIE, :wink:
I will take photo & put it on here (when the wife got time, im a bit of a technafobe)

Darren
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:11 pm

If anyone with a V6 would like to be a guinea pig and help me put a V6 specific kit together. Please contact me. You will of course end up with a fitted alarm FOC. (dammit....there goes all my profit)
This would entail...
Is the V6 tank pressurized as the diesel ?(has it got a proper pressure cap on it)
If yes to the above..is this tank the same material as the diesel?
If no to the above.
How does the top hose leave the radiator ? (does it turn quickly downwards or does it leave the rad in a stright line)
What is the inside dia of the top hose.
I have all the bits to cover every possible combination.
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:14 pm

Cheffy....where abouts in Devon are you. Fancy being my Guinea Pig?? see my reply above
Also BMW Clocks
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:59 pm

Well...I've had a look at both cooling systems on lushprojects and I am pretty confidant that the fitting of the sensors is exactly the same as the diesel. This only leaves the connection into the fusebox wireing to sort out. First one to bring a V6 to my house can have a alarm fitted for free so long as I can take photo's and write a factsheet.
If someone could post a photo of the header tank that would be good.
Ian, if you could look at the tanks on both your bongo's and confirm they are the same with pressure caps that would also be good.
Also BMW Clocks
flippa

Post by flippa » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi haydn, sorry only just seen this thread.....i would have liked to answer some of the questions you asked .....but having only just picked up my v6 yesterday from southampton i have only had a quick glance at its innards....still busy prepping it for the mot/registration....i will take a closer look tomorrow especially at all the hoses....im sure the expansion tank looked the same....
Cloughy
Bongonaut

Post by Cloughy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 pm

This is my first post as a Bongo owner - hello. I have a 1998 V6 Bongo, which bought from Jalimports. It came with a coolant alarm fitted, as recommended by Phil. All seems well, it beeps in the morning when I start the engine, then goes off.

It come on as I drive up the hill out of the town where I live, but only first thing in the morning. I assumed it was OK to have it fitted as it was recommended by Phil. I'll be interested to read more on this!

Matt
coco bongo

Post by coco bongo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm

Ian wrote:It's parked outside, fully valeted and scrubbed up like a brass farthing, awaiting a buyer....it's not going anywhere.

Not turning traitor are you Ian?
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi Cloughy, welcome to the forum :wink: Glad to have you on board \:D/

If the alarm goes off as you traverse that certain hill,you need to add a little coolant to the header tank.

As the bongo tilts with the hill, the level of coolant must be dropping below the alarm probe... :shock:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
Cloughy
Bongonaut

Post by Cloughy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I did top up a while ago and it didn't sound for a while. But, after quite a bit of drive it has started again.

Do you think there is a leak somewhere or is a bit of coolant loss normal?
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:54 pm

coco bongo wrote:
Ian wrote:It's parked outside, fully valeted and scrubbed up like a brass farthing, awaiting a buyer....it's not going anywhere.

Not turning traitor are you Ian?
How dare you, sir! Iam just re-arranging my stock!

bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:00 am

Cloughy wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I did top up a while ago and it didn't sound for a while. But, after quite a bit of drive it has started again.

Do you think there is a leak somewhere or is a bit of coolant loss normal?
Its possible that you may have a leak,dunno about the v6 version, but, the diesels should be water tight :shock:

It sounds like a lot of engine damage has possibly been avoided thanks to your alarm cloughy... :wink:

Have another look at the header tank cap next time you get chance... Its just possible it hasn't been put back on straight, (easy done) The water could be just about escaping as steam... (maybe unnoticeable, depending on the amount of steam) :wink:
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:13 am

Well that settles it. The Coolant alarm is o.k, for both the diesel and V6 and the instructions apply to both with no changes.
Phil at JAL gets his alarms from me and fits loads of them.
Now I know he has fitted them to the V6 all doubts are gone.
I've not heard of V6's having problems with the head gaskets/cylinder heads but the hoses are getting on a bit in many cases so the fitting of a coolant loss alarm can only make sense.
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”