Sticking speedo

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

loftustowncrier

Sticking speedo

Post by loftustowncrier » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58 am

Hey everyone. The bongo's speedo needle stuck last night on my way home. I thought I was going a bit quicker than it said! At first it was just a slight sticking, with jerky movements up and down as I accelerated/decelerated. Now it seems to be permanently stuck. Tapping the console glass doesn't shift it much. Everything else is working fine. Does that sound like a loose cable or dirt behind the needle? Apologies if this has been covered before - I searched a few terms but it's not so easy from a mobile phone. :-)
Jolly Rogers

Re: Sticking speedo

Post by Jolly Rogers » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am

Has your speedo been chipped? this quite often makes the speedo play up.
loftustowncrier

Post by loftustowncrier » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:39 am

No - it's not chipped. It's just had a new face put on by the company that imported it. I didn't really want to drive all the way back for something that can be fixed easily.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:43 am

Was it jamming around the 50 mark..?
Cheaper by comparison to a race horse...
loftustowncrier

Post by loftustowncrier » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:28 am

It was jamming at 23mph and around 40mph. Now it's stuck at about 10mph! Why?
bigdaddycain
Supreme Being

Post by bigdaddycain » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Is the face on the speedo correctly aligned? It may just be catching the needle at the spigot.
ビッグダディケイン RIP Big Bank Hank (Imp the Dimp) 1957-2014
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:58 pm

bigdaddycain wrote:Is the face on the speedo correctly aligned? It may just be catching the needle at the spigot.
My thoughts exactly.. Or the needle catches on the dial face..? (In my case around 50).
Had a similar problem after the dealer MPH'd the dial on mine!
I took it back & they sorted it.

Though i was careful not to make the same mistake when i upgraded to the white dials, which basically fitted over the originals.. :idea:
loftustowncrier

Post by loftustowncrier » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:44 pm

If it is catching on the face it's catching in more than one place, as it will move up and down in jerky movements. I'll let you know what happens.
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:21 pm

It's easy enough to get to, drop the steering wheel to it's lowest adjustment, undo the 4 screws around the binnacle surround, firkle it out, & then remove the 4 screws holding the cover over the dials, you should be able to see what's happening between the dial & needle then.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
jaylee
Supreme Being

Post by jaylee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:58 pm

missfixit70 wrote:It's easy enough to get to, drop the steering wheel to it's lowest adjustment, undo the 4 screws around the binnacle surround, firkle it out, & then remove the 4 screws holding the cover over the dials, you should be able to see what's happening between the dial & needle then.
After the surround, four screws hold the dial pod in place, then un-clip the clear screen to get at the dials... [-X :wink: :D

I found the surround comes out easier if i remove the top half of the steering cowl. :idea:

The problem i had was it would stick at 50 release & shoot up if i was going any faster..
Then on the way down stick at 50 & by the time i was say 20 or 30 un-stick & give no trouble at all, unless i was taking it over 50 again!

.. if you know what i mean..?
loftustowncrier

Post by loftustowncrier » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Hello :-)

I took it all apart (as per your instructions, thank you), and couldn't see any problem with the needle except that it was a bit 'sticky'. I couldn't work out what else to do with it, so put everything back together again. The cables all seemed fine - nothing loose or out of the ordinary. I couldn't see how to take the needle off - that might have shown up something. As an aside I found the front fog light connector lead too short to re-connect so ended up swapping the switches around so I could re-fit it!

It's going to back to the company who imported it anyway, but if anyone else can suggest anything, please do.... I don't want to be pulled for speeding (or crawling). :-)
Doone
Supreme Being

Post by Doone » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:27 pm

If you want to have another go at removing and refitting the needle, these 2 posts should help:
Allan's closed. in Plymouth we recommend PGS (Plymouth Garage Services) or Mayflower Auto Services
loftustowncrier

Post by loftustowncrier » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:59 pm

Thank you - will have a go at it later this week.

Return to “Techie Stuff”