Winter Tyres - what happens in the summer ?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Jules59

Winter Tyres - what happens in the summer ?

Post by Jules59 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:55 am

My Bongo has come with a nearly new set of Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1 winter tyres. They dont appear to be available in the UK but from what Ive read on the internet they are very good.
However I assume they will be rubbish in the summer and wear out very quickly - even this morning at -3 the rubber blocks feel very soft compared to my car's tyres.
It seems a shame not to keep them for their winter properties and so I think Ill change them + wheels for some summer ones - good idea ?
Last edited by Jules59 on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Re: Winter Tyres - what happens in the summer ?

Post by mikexgough » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:05 am

Jules59 wrote:My Bongo has come with a nearly new set of Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1 winter tyres. They dont appear to be available in the UK but from what Ive read on the internet they are very good.
However I assume they will be rubbish in the summer and wear out very quickly - event this morning at -3 the rubber blocks feel very soft compared to my car's tyres.
It seems a shame not to keep them for their winter properties and so I think ill change them + wheels for some summer ones - good idea ?
If you can afford to have some "Summer" tyres as well as the winter ones, I would opt to keep the Winter set until they are worn out, which could be a few years...... just my opinion.....
There is always discussion about Tyres on the forum..... depends on wheel size and what Tyres are available for that size/load rating really..... then there are All Season Tyres/ General Tyres and Van Tyres too......
It is really ......what suits you and your pocket....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:31 am

Agreed - winter tyres have a very different rubber compound that doesn't go hard and lose over half it's grip when they get cold.
I compromised and fitted all-season tyres that aren't quite as good as winter tyres but can still be used without any real wear penalty in better weather.

If the winter tyres are on alloys I'd try and get a set of steels and have them swapped to them with a decent set of summer or all season tyres fitted on the alloys.

Even better if they are already on steels, just get a nice set of alloys for the summer.
munroman
Tribal Elder

Post by munroman » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:19 pm

Please explain- what is this Summer thing of which you speak?

Being Scottish this is a new word for me.............. :D
When asked about Western Civilisation, Ghandi said 'that would be a good idea'...
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi
Summer...you need to be a bit closer to the Gulf Stream than Glasgow :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I've only been there a couple of times...and have I got a great story!!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:52 pm

munroman wrote:Please explain- what is this Summer thing of which you speak?

Being Scottish this is a new word for me.............. :D
Hi get yerself a wee hoose on ISLAY. 8) yey cannie whack it.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Jules59 wrote:My Bongo has come with a nearly new set of Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1 winter tyres. They dont appear to be available in the UK but from what Ive read on the internet they are very good.
However I assume they will be rubbish in the summer and wear out very quickly - even this morning at -3 the rubber blocks feel very soft compared to my car's tyres.
It seems a shame not to keep them for their winter properties and so I think ill change them + wheels for some summer ones - good idea ?
I wonder what dandemann is doing with his steels now he's had ali. ones fitted (see http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 28&start=0). He's in Stoke I think so not far from you if he'll sell you his old steels and tyres :roll:
dandywarhol
Supreme Being

Post by dandywarhol » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:59 pm

I used my M+S winter tyres this summer in France/Spain towing a motorbike and trailer - wore them out in no time and had to replace one in Spain :oops:
Whale oil beef hooked
Renault Lunar Telstar
Yamaha TD1C 250, Merc SLK200, KTM Duke 690
Tony C
Bongolier

Post by Tony C » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:17 pm

My Bongo also came with Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1 winter tyres on Jap 16 inch alloys, they have covered 16 thousand miles summer & winter & still have more that 50% tread left. :D
I intend to live forever - so far, so good!
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:19 pm

Tony C wrote:My Bongo also came with Bridgestone Blizzak REVO1 winter tyres on Jap 16 inch alloys, they have covered 16 thousand miles summer & winter & still have more that 50% tread left. :D
From what I understand, tyre wear is not the big issue for winter tyres used in the summer. The problem, and the reason they should definitely be kept for winter use, is that their blocky tread patterns make their cornering and braking characteristics much inferior to good summer tyres, when not driven on snow and ice. The same consideration also makes for inferior ride and general handling.

This set of FAQ's http://www.winter-tyres.info/faq.html, despite being from the website of "The Winter Tyre Co.", actually warns against using winter tyres in the UK at any time, unless constantly required, due to high elevations for example, for driving on snow and ice - hence development of all-seasons tyres of the type scanner mentioned above.

My own first reaction, having just fitted some (Vredestein Quatrac 2) myself, is here: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 21#p365568. Note, from that topic thread, that there is unfortunately some doubt about their continued availability - which scanner is looking into.
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)

Return to “Techie Stuff”