Adding a standard 12v socket

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Bongo-Shaftsbury

Adding a standard 12v socket

Post by Bongo-Shaftsbury » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:01 am

Has anyone fitted a standard 12v socket (i.e. NOT the cig lighter type). Are they supposed to make a better connection than the cig lighter ones? I was thinking of adding one for the fridge which requires a minimal voltage drop.
If anyone knows the pros and cons of these sockets, please help.........

http://www.sailgb.com/p/12v_16a_p_mount ... cket__cap/
pippin

Post by pippin » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:25 am

Yes, I have used these.

It is in fact very similar to a ciggy socket, in that many of the better quality ciggy socket plugs have an adaptor bit (usually red) that removes from the end so that it fits the above socket.

Personally I found it to be little better than a standard ciggy socket/plug arrangement. The snag is that the whole arrangement is quite long and is easily dislodged by accidentally knocking or vibration.

For my fridge I now use a large ceramic "choc" block to hard wire it in. Easily disconnected if necessary. I suspect you are using a removable coolbox whereas my compressor fridge is sort of permanently installed but the whole unit can be removed.
shakey

Post by shakey » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:42 pm

If you don't want to hard wire items, I have used a large jackplug and socket before to connect a split charged battery under the bonnet of a car, to the interior 12v electrics of an unhitched caravan. A good electical shop will get you them, the sockets even had a sprung top to cover them when not in use. Shakey

Return to “Techie Stuff”