Hook up through window?

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Triple/R
Supreme Being

Re: Hook up through window?

Post by Triple/R » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:57 am

dobby wrote:
madmile wrote:I seem to recall that orange is mentioned in the part P somewhere, but dont have a copy to hand.
However as for the colour arguement, have you ever seen a commercially available hook up lead (ebay excluded :roll: ) that is anything other than orange?.
I may be wrong of course :wink: .
The main thing is that it is safe in installation and bright enough that you dont trip over it when its half burried in grass etc.

Hi Ed

I think you're right about Part P

What's always amused me is that it's orange, but in common with 10% of the male population I'm colour blind and I can't see orange against green grass, Arctic Blue is much easier to see :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah right Graham~my lads colour blind as well so it don't mean owt to him either.
Regards Ray & Christine

It's only easy when you know the answer!!!!!!!!!!
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:58 pm

dobby wrote: g8dhe - those in-line RCD's are good. That's what I've fitted. Fed a lead through the big grommet on the n/s bulkhead etc. with a trailing socket and coiled the other end up under the bonnet. Great for stopovers when a bigger triple unit isn't needed.
I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar for a while, but don't want to store a coiled up cable under the bonnet (don't think I've got the room with a LB there anyway).

My idea was to mount a socket somewhere near the passenger, with the cable running through the bulkhead grommet, and terminated with a male waterproof connector. I then have a separate cable with the female connector on one end, and a hookup plug and inline RCD at the other end. On arrival at site, its simply a case of popping the bonnet and connecting the two cables (and on leaving, remembering to unplug it). I haven't really found a suitable connector yet though.
Two tonne tin drum
2sticks
Bongolier

Post by 2sticks » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:25 pm

g8dhe wrote:On my cable I have fitted one of these RCD'd about 8 inches from the plug so it doesn't lie in the grass, click for details,
this means that I am not relying on any possible RCD fitted by the site owner. Also the cable itself will be protected, in that if anybody runs over the cable in a vehicle and they damage it then if anyone picks up the cable they might get a shock, but the RCD will at least protect them (its a 10mA 30/ms device). Having taken the time to inspect a couple of sites where feed boxes etc. have been unlocked, I don't intend relying on any owner!
I would agree with Geoff regarding the RCD, especially as I am a very old man and probably
wouldn't survive a 30 milliamp shock anyway, particularly some of those as seen on Ebay.
However, while perfectly safe it may not comply with the IEE regulations if your vehicle
is registered as a motor home or camper van. As several other points discussed here are
related to this thread I thought I might check the regulations as my memory is not what
it was. Just a few observations if they are of any interest.

Part P of the IEE regulations has very little to do with caravans or camp sites, these are
covered in section 708 and 721 amended in the 17th edition. The link I provided was written
before the regulations were amended in the 17th edition but still remain true today as the
regulations only apply to new installations or major alterations or extensions to existing
installations.

All caravan sites usually need planning permission from the local council and part of that
planning permission will require that all electrical installations must comply with the
IEE regulations and any deviation from this requirement may result in the licence being
withdrawn. I can see an anomaly here in the wording of the licence, does it specify current
regulations, or the regulations at the time of installation ?.

Due to copy write law, it would be illegal for me to openly publish these regulations but I
don't see any harm in publishing my interpretation of some of the changes in the 17th
edition.

1:
The campsite supply sockets should be no further than 20 metres from the point of use, ie.
caravan, motor home, awning or tent, and each pitch must be provided with it's own socket.

2:
A maximum of 4 socket outlets can be used at each distribution point and therefore precludes
the use of double or triple adaptors, in other words, no more than 4 cables should be used
to distribute the electrical supply to no more than 4 points of use.

3:
Each distribution socket must be provided with it's own over-current protection and include
individual RCD protection not exceeding 30 milliamps tripping current and not exceeding 40
milliseconds tripping time.

4:
In a caravan or motor home an RCD must be fitted to the incoming supply with the same tripping
specifications as required for campsite distribution sockets. This allows to some extent for
those distribution systems that do not comply with the 17th edition of the IEE regulations.

5:
The only reference to hookup cables I can find are mentioned in section 721 which are:
Any caravan or motor home purchased by a user must be supplied with a plug complying with
BS EN 60309-2 and a flexible cable conforming to BS 7919 minimum size 2.5 mm and 25 metres
length. While the conductor insulation must comply with UK standards, green/yellow, brown
and blue, there is no mention of outer sheathing colour providing it complies with BS 7919.

It would be prudent to use an ORANGE sheathed hookup cable as many well known camp sites
have their own regulations demanding their use and they have the authority to eject you
from the site if you don't or won't comply, many others are less fussy and allow any colour
providing it complies with the relevant regulations.
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:52 pm

My lead comes in under the bonnet ( when the bonnet is closed it cannot be pinched ) Connects to a fixed socket under the bonnet then to cable through bulkhead grommet to a single sunicamp (?) camping RCD /socket mounted high up in the passenger footwell using bolts which are already there . Neat, cheap, safe, and works a treat :)
Origo bio stove - no Bongo!
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:13 pm

vanvliet wrote:My lead comes in under the bonnet ( when the bonnet is closed it cannot be pinched ) Connects to a fixed socket under the bonnet then to cable through bulkhead grommet to a single sunicamp (?) camping RCD /socket mounted high up in the passenger footwell using bolts which are already there . Neat, cheap, safe, and works a treat :)
What type of socket did you use under the bonnet, and where did you fix it to?
Two tonne tin drum
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am

Sorry ,should have said that the socket is perm. in place ,not actually fixed to the van The shert length of ( armoured cover -from a scrappy ford) cable to the bulkhead keeps it in place and it just sits ther within easy reach .3 years so far and has been fine. I will post a couple of pics tonight - - -
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:50 am

Sorry ,should have said that the socket is perm. in place ,not actually fixed to the van The shert length of ( armoured cover -from a scrappy ford) cable to the bulkhead keeps it in place and it just sits ther within easy reach .3 years so far and has been fine. I will post a couple of pics tonight - - -
vanvliet
Supreme Being

Post by vanvliet » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:07 pm

I had considered mounting a socket to the van under the bonnet but never got around to it - like this -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MAINS-HOOK-UP-SOC ... 4aa53ade24
I also have an inline circuit breaker which I intend fitting at the site cable end.

The Sunnicamp single camping RCD with the full cable came from Ebay and was really cheap so I bought a spare which I use in the awning when not using the van system.
It cost me £20 including the extension cable! This one looks pricey but they come up in sales over the winter as most folk look for multi socket jobs
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOTORHOME-CARAVAN ... 45f5b905b2

I also bought a domestic plug to caravan plug so that I can power up the fridge freezer the night before leaving for a trip
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:39 pm

We've got one of these.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... earch=true

Replaced the 13 amp plug with a 3pin round plug (about £2 ) which plugs into the socket on the end of a standard lead.

When I get the van converted properly will just use the lead and reuse the RDC extension for the mower.
dandemann8
Supreme Being

Post by dandemann8 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:57 pm

I went down this route and think it work's very well :D :D :D

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... stallation

This option also give's me a power supply to my awning at the same time :D
Bongo no more........... ;-(

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”