V6 cambelt change in Caerphilly

wishmaster
Tribal Elder

V6 cambelt change in Caerphilly

Post by wishmaster » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Our cambelt is due for change shortly on our V6 :( anybody used A&S Garages or St. Ilan car imports in Caerphilly to do the job :?: Our bongo is running really lovely at the moment and it gives me the willies thinking bout this so need reassurance that im gonna get the best job done possible. Anybody got any suggestions :idea:

Thanks Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
dom_e
Tribal Elder

Re: V6 cambelt change in Caerphilly

Post by dom_e » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 pm

They did our diesel one (more piece of mind than necassary). Nothing blew up, so I can presume the job was done well! We have all of our servicing done there and haven't had a problem.
Beyond A to B
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:44 pm

V6 cambelt is trickier - Wheelquick won't willingly do them, for example (checked again about a month back). If your garages have got some experience with them, then maybe OK. Otherwise, it's worth the £55 investment for Vol 1 (Engine) of the petrol Bongos workshop manual from the Bongo Shop. That way you'll know (by lending it to them for the job) that they know what they're doing, plus you'll then have a good reference book to help keep your precious V6 happy ever after :D
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 am

Been chatting to Andy @ A&S Motors and he's done two V6'ers in the last couple months, so he's familiar with the work involved and he recommended changing the cam seals while its all stripped apart =D> . We're off to Blackpool end of the month so im gonna book the bongo in when we get back. Must admit i feel alot more settled knowing that he's done this before [-o< . Will report back in time :wink:

IZZY

wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 pm

Ok, bongo booked into A&S for the 18th, i've ordered the cambelt and getting the cam seals done while its apart. All i need now is a bit of luck [-o< and a windfall to pay the bill :lol: :roll:

IZZY

wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am

Right , took bongo in on 18th, all stripped down, the 2 seals on the right bank are leaking (think this is the cause of our oily smell) :D so parts were ordered. Had phone call yesterday and the supplier had sent the wrong seals :o so its in the garage over the weekend :cry: Mechanic has had a good check over other parts etc and all looking okay :) Hopefully i'll have the bongo back monday afternoon [-o<

IZZY

dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Ah - so it was yours I saw there. Looks like a tidy Bongo.

We use A&S for the Bongo and now fow our little Wagon R. They always seem to offer a friendly and efficient service. It's a right pain for us to take the cars there on a work day (they're not exactly local to us), but I'd rather take them to a place I trust.

Good luck for getting the Bongo back tomorrow.
Beyond A to B
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:37 pm

dom_e wrote:Ah - so it was yours I saw there. Looks like a tidy Bongo.

We use A&S for the Bongo and now fow our little Wagon R. They always seem to offer a friendly and efficient service. It's a right pain for us to take the cars there on a work day (they're not exactly local to us), but I'd rather take them to a place I trust.

Good luck for getting the Bongo back tomorrow.
Hi Dom, yip tiz mine, seals didnt come in til after lunch today so it'll be ready tomorrow now :roll: , no point rushing the job just to get it back tonight tho. There was another white aft there earlier when i called in, looked a nice one :) , they seem to get a steady flow of bongo's in there, their reputation is growing in the bongo world which is good news for us :wink: Glad you liked the Bongo. Fingers crossed all be well [-o<

IZZY

wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 pm

Well its been over a week now since i had the bongo back, i can report that Andrew and the guys at A&S Garage have done me proud =D> and the bongo is running better than ever :D . The cam seals did indeed need replacing and some of the seeping oil had congelled thus the nasty whiff :evil: I have a slight smell of 'melted plastic' but its had a darn good clean so could be the solution they used to do that :?: but hope this will subside over time [-o< but compared to the oily smell its nothing :roll: So if anyone is thinking of having their 'V6' cambelt changed in this area then i highly recommend them :D

IZZY

dom_e
Tribal Elder

Post by dom_e » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:34 pm

Glad all's well.
Beyond A to B

Return to “Wales/Cymru”