Charged as a campervan on EuroTunnel

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

scanner
Supreme Being

Re: Charged as a campervan on EuroTunnel

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 am

umbongocat wrote:
scanner wrote:
Dr.Jekyll wrote: Cost will be quite expensive i.e. a lot more than just making a booking via internet say the day before.
Just checked and booking for tomorrow the standard fare is the cheapest one offered and that is £147 booked as a car or £183 booked as a campervan for a one way trip. :shock:

If you just turn up you will probably have to buy a Flexiplus ticket @ £199 one way.
That's extortionate!!! I paid £60 return with Sea France
It's the cost of just turning up and expecting to go.

Was that a turn up and go price with Seafrance?
.co.uk
Bongolier

Post by .co.uk » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

I booked my Eurotunnel online and went via the size guide. I did not book as a campervan. I think they may have an argument on their hands if they want to charge me extra for my unconverted bus! I found it more expensive than the ferry but wanted to try it out as I haven't travelled by Eurotunnel before. As the price difference was about £70, I will probably return to the ferry next time.

I think booking online and in advance is the cheapest way to book the ferry or the tunnel.
[b]G'day from The People's Republic of the Bongo![/b]

www.thomasgorman.co.uk
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:15 pm

scanner wrote:

Was that a turn up and go price with Seafrance?[/quote]

No, we buy 6 tickets at once as we go there a lot. There are different deals depending on how many journeys you buy. Speedferries were the best, but alsas they went under. I think P & O also do some kind of deal where you buy more tickets the price comes down. With Seafrance you can also give one outgoing and return away to someone else.
I love cheese!
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:22 pm

umbongocat wrote:
scanner wrote:

Was that a turn up and go price with Seafrance?
No, we buy 6 tickets at once as we go there a lot. There are different deals depending on how many journeys you buy. Speedferries were the best, but alsas they went under. I think P & O also do some kind of deal where you buy more tickets the price comes down. With Seafrance you can also give one outgoing and return away to someone else.
That's why there is a difference in price then - trying to turn up and go just doesn't compare with buying the multi-trip deal.

I think the tunnel do a multi-trip deal and that is a lot less than the turn up and go price as well.
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Been toying with the idea of driving to France to visit the wife`s relatives :-k , we`ed have to go via the ferry now as an LPG converted vehicle isn`t allowed through the euro tunnel :o Bummer :(

Izzy
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:32 am

Really guys, what's so great-great advantage of using ET at all?? It's times costly, it's naturally restrictive, it's somewhat less available for high vehicles, but the main thing: unlike ferries, in ET you own vehicle is THE ONLY comfort point throughout whole crossing! Does saving 20-30 mins really over-weigh all that (if crossing to Calais)? To me it always over-weighed even around 70 mins for Dunkirk crossing (considering as a bonus I had a good and comfortable short sleep stretching on soft benches in both ways during overnight continental leaps).
froghandler
Bongolier

Post by froghandler » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:25 pm

Over recent years we've always used the Tunnel (not done a trip with the bongo yet tho) as it was reasonably priced and you could turn up hours before or a bit after your booked time and travel with no waiting.

However, I think we'll maybe have to look at other options as their prices seem to have shot up, you get charged more for being a camper (even tho a mondeo with cycles mounted on roof takes up more room) and if as scanner says they turn you away if you turn up more than 2 hours before your booking a lot of the convenience has gone.

Certainly won't miss the grotty loos on the eurotunnel - truly awful and to be avoided at all costs!
Matt&JoyBongling
Tribal Elder

Post by Matt&JoyBongling » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:24 am

Bump this thread in response to questions about travelling to France on Eurotunnel and being charged as a campervan ....
Underground, Overground, Bongoling Free, the Bonglers of Bedford, common are we ...
flossie
Tribal Elder

Post by flossie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:25 am

Matt&JoyBongling wrote:We went to France in Feb in our little car. Once again, we were pulled over for security checks. This time they checked for explosives :shock:

This brings back memories. July 2009 my ex's band were invited to perform at a fantastic free festival called Ploezerock in Belgium (well worth checking out). So we turned up at the port. Now the show is an AC/DC tribute band and those of you in the know will be aware that part of the show involves firing cannons. Obviously 'real' explosives cant be used in the trib scene so it was pared down to fireworks.

At the dockside check they obviously wanted to look in the van. It didnt really help matters that John had helpfully called the secure box 'Bomb Box' emblazoned on the top and side .... well surprisingly they let us on with no extra checks etc. Interestingly with the amount of gunpowder in each of the charges it could possibly if combined have caused quite an impressive explosion!!
Liz
'99 V6 White over Silver - as yet unconverted but I may be converted!

Return to “Going Abroad”