Who is going away this year?

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

umbongocat
Supreme Being

Re: Who is going away this year?

Post by umbongocat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:16 am

8etty 8ongo wrote:wow im inspired by just how far you all get in the bongo :o im nervous just about going to cornwall/devon in a few weeks time. just so nervous about the whole overheating thing :(
i constantly watch the gauge thingy :roll:

fingers crossed it goes well [-o< then hoping to attend some meet ups over the summer and head up to highlands and islands of scotland in the summer - though have heard about the midgys 8-[
Hi to UnBongo from Umbongo :) Love the avatar

We took ours around France last year and it was fab and didn't miss a beat. Why not try the Reading meet the beginning of the summer hols
I love cheese!
saracen

Post by saracen » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:06 pm

8etty 8ongo wrote:wow im inspired by just how far you all get in the bongo :o im nervous just about going to cornwall/devon in a few weeks time. just so nervous about the whole overheating thing :(

fingers crossed it goes well [-o< then hoping to attend some meet ups over the summer and head up to highlands and islands of scotland in the summer - though have heard about the midgys 8-[
I was so-o-o-o nervous about this the first time we went abroad. Driving from Avignon eastwards I was convinced the gauge was just that weeny bit higher than normal and was watching it like a hawk, with a heavily beating heart. Scary. It was fine though and subsequently got all the way to the far south of Greece and back. That was the old Bongo - the new one was first class last year in France though.

As everyone is saying, get it checked out before you go, and of course get breakdown cover just in case, though I dread the thought of actually having to deal with it if anything did go wrong!
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:11 pm

There is a new website called the scottish midge forecast. They not only give you an idea of where the midges are at their worst but also sell a product developed by Edinburgh University to repel the wee beasties. I will be buying some and heading to the islands in May and will let you know how I get on. With out good repellent I am a walking restaurant for the blighters. :? Always try to park away from trees or dense vegetation it makes life a little easier.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:04 am

If you've got a good mechanic, that puts a lot of confidence in your bongo.
jone_it

Post by jone_it » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Long time ago (when I was same nervous) DemonAV told me from the height of his vast Bongo knowledge: "Don't worry. This is the type of a car that should never let you down instantly. Even in case of troubles it'll creep/knock/squeak/shake/smoke long before fully stopping, thus getting you to a better place in the right time." Now by my own Bongo experience I fully agree with this opinion. ^_^
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

fingers crossed it goes well then hoping to attend some meet ups over the summer and head up to highlands and islands of scotland in the summer - though have heard about the midgys
If you are heading for the Western Islands I would not worry too much about the midges. On our two weeks there three years ago the only place that we encountered midges was on an inland campsite on Lewis. Most campsites are on the coast and are midge free due to the wind. We did not come across any Midges on Barra, Eraskay, South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist or Harris and our trip was taken at the back end of May and the beginning of June.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:23 pm

MountainGoat wrote:
fingers crossed it goes well then hoping to attend some meet ups over the summer and head up to highlands and islands of scotland in the summer - though have heard about the midgys
If you are heading for the Western Islands I would not worry too much about the midges. On our two weeks there three years ago the only place that we encountered midges was on an inland campsite on Lewis. Most campsites are on the coast and are midge free due to the wind. We did not come across any Midges on Barra, Eraskay, South Uist, Benbecula, North Uist or Harris and our trip was taken at the back end of May and the beginning of June.

Tony
Yep Tony is right.... not even the fierce Scottish midge is brave enough to endure the gale force winds and driving rain :wink: :lol:
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:09 am

No plans to go across the channel this year, Parents not been well so can't be too far from home. A shame as we like to venture across the EU, still at least I am managing now to have a few adventures planned...... the Bash :D A Trip at the Spring Bank Holiday to Conkers park nr Swadlincote, a week in Cheddar in August and another week in August to Knaresborough...... not as magnificent as Luxembourg and other EU destinations but close enough to run home should I need to. Britcar has been pencilled in....for now [-o<
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic

Return to “Going Abroad”