How do I get these off?????

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Poohbear
Tribal Elder

How do I get these off?????

Post by Poohbear » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

I'm hoping someone can give me a quick answer on this one because I've started the job and got stuck at the first hurdle!

My rear door isn't in the middle so I decided to slacken off the hinges and move it over a few mm. However, I can't work out how to get the two trim panels off that give me access to the nuts on the underside.

It's these two small pieces right at the back just inside the door: -

I can pull them back a little and can see that there is an aperture to get at the hinge fasteners but I can't wotk out how they come off.

Help!! :?
Northern Bongolow
Supreme Being

Re: How do I get these off?????

Post by Northern Bongolow » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:05 pm

just pull them (carefully), as i remember the driverside comes off last ,it hooks under the other.dont loose the little clips 8)
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:12 pm

Check they're not captive nuts or you may be wasting your time getting to them :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks Ady, I just needed the confidence to pull them and know they weren't going to break. The drivers side comes off first, by the way as it overlaps the other one.

They're not captive nuts, they are captive bolts welded to the hinge. The nuts are on the underside in a small recess once you've taken the trim panels off.

We managed to move it over a bit, not perfect, but it's better than it was. Cheers, Steve.
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:28 pm

I was in there the other day pretty certain they weren't captive nuts, but the bolts from the Lush diagram appear to be fixed http://www.lushprojects.com/bongopartsm ... mgno=.html

Yes they trim just pulls down but the first spring clip will often fly out, wrap a cloth around the opening of the trim to catch it, I found the clip needed closing up after having been pulled otherwise it doesn't clip back on to the trim very securely which makes it worse the next time you need to open it.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions

Return to “Techie Stuff”