France trip

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Velocette
Supreme Being

Re: France trip

Post by Velocette » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:52 pm

missfixit70 wrote:Never had a problem with my Visa debit card with any of the automated pumps 2 years ago, usually the cheapest fuel too, although that saving is probably negated by the foriegn use charge on the card #-o Still prefer to use that for safety, than carry around a load of cash though.
Some cards are OK, or possibly most pumps are, quite a few people on my bike forum have had the same problem I had, others didn't. Mine are Mastercard and Visa debit. I found two pumps that wouldn't take my card on different occasions.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:39 am

Velocette wrote:
missfixit70 wrote:Never had a problem with my Visa debit card with any of the automated pumps 2 years ago, usually the cheapest fuel too, although that saving is probably negated by the foriegn use charge on the card #-o Still prefer to use that for safety, than carry around a load of cash though.
Some cards are OK, or possibly most pumps are, quite a few people on my bike forum have had the same problem I had, others didn't. Mine are Mastercard and Visa debit. I found two pumps that wouldn't take my card on different occasions.
:oops: Actually it may have been a few years previous that it happened to me, I may be rolling memories of two trips into one.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:17 am

We hit this problem back in august 2009 in Brittany. We were running on vapour, everywhere was closed and we eventually found an automatic pump at a supermarket. We tried every card we had between us - visa credit, visa debit, mastercard debit, including travel debit cards loaded with euros, but none worked. Had to go off and find another station.
Two tonne tin drum
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:09 pm

The French tend to use Carte Bleu more than anything else. They are not so credit mad as GB. Cash is still king.

Avoid Petrol Stations on a Sunday as most are closed/cards only. Also after 7pm, most go automated (80%). It's not the same culture as over here, it's far more relaxed.
froghandler
Bongolier

Post by froghandler » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm with you on using a card for safety reasons. We've got one that doesn't charge for foreign usage (purchases not withdrawals). The moneysavingexpert website does a good write up on which credit/debit cards are best for foreign usage and the associated fees if any.

We got a post office credit card just to use abroad as it doesn't add a foreign usage charge on purchases. Best part was that I applied for it through a cashback website and got £21.50 just for getting the card. Bonus :D
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:16 pm

If you are travelling via autoroutes a lot this year or any year, get yourself a machine to get through the peage, without having to stop. OK< you have to queue for a minute or two, but it's worth it.

The machine costs €2 a month for hire and around €10 for deposit, which you get back.

IMPORTANT NOTE - Most British drivers get too close to the car in front when going through the peage. Leave at least 2 metres, otherwise your machine can activate the person in front and you would have to wait for a person behind you to activate you through, and you could look like a burke waiting for another car while they sit back 2 metres away.

It is very good for places like Clermont Ferrand, Lyon and Paris. Your credit card gets charged as you go through and you get a bill at the end of the month.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:18 pm

dvisor
Supreme Being

Post by dvisor » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Nick65 wrote:http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm

Liber T is the peage company to use the machine (I think)

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/payment-methods.htm
Followed the links through, and came to this page which gives quite a bit of information on the automatic toll payment service, and is in English - https://pilot.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq

They pile a lot of extra charges on though :( 20 eu refundable deposit, but add to that an application fee of 10 eu, annual management fee of 6 eu, and 5 eu monthly service fee for each month that the tag was used in (up to 10 eu). So that is either 21 or 26 eu fees + tax, and the 20 eu refundable deposit (then of course there are the toll charges). Can't decide at the moment if it is worthwhile or not.
Two tonne tin drum
mikexgough
Supreme Being

Post by mikexgough » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Nick65 wrote:The French tend to use Carte Bleu more than anything else. They are not so credit mad as GB. Cash is still king.

Avoid Petrol Stations on a Sunday as most are closed/cards only. Also after 7pm, most go automated (80%). It's not the same culture as over here, it's far more relaxed.
:D :D :D =D> =D> =D> =D> ........ shame we are too american here in UK PLC.... We always bleat about EU subsidies but we have always been at arms length with the EU, favouring "cherry picking" the good bits and not integrating with their ways of life.....oh well....
Conversant with Bongo Top Pinion Oil Seals

Bongo owning Velotech Cycle Mechanic
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:36 pm

dvisor wrote:
Nick65 wrote:http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm

Liber T is the peage company to use the machine (I think)

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/payment-methods.htm
Followed the links through, and came to this page which gives quite a bit of information on the automatic toll payment service, and is in English - https://pilot.saneftolling.co.uk/support/faq

They pile a lot of extra charges on though :( 20 eu refundable deposit, but add to that an application fee of 10 eu, annual management fee of 6 eu, and 5 eu monthly service fee for each month that the tag was used in (up to 10 eu). So that is either 21 or 26 eu fees + tax, and the 20 eu refundable deposit (then of course there are the toll charges). Can't decide at the moment if it is worthwhile or not.
God that's rocketed up a lot, since we last used it!! I think that we actually stopped at the services and got it done that way.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:39 pm

mikexgough wrote:
Nick65 wrote:The French tend to use Carte Bleu more than anything else. They are not so credit mad as GB. Cash is still king.

:D :D :D =D> =D> =D> =D> ........ shame we are too american here in UK PLC.... We always bleat about EU subsidies but we have always been at arms length with the EU, favouring "cherry picking" the good bits and not integrating with their ways of life.....oh well....
It's a shame really. Credit is not available freely in France like we have. Parents pass the family house down to the next generation and occasionally they sell on, but not always.

I'd say about 65% of houses have been passed down from generation to generation. It's a big deal to buy a house. It's spoken about if you do buy a house and they do ask why you do it.
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 am

Under French law houses are passed down to children, not surviving spouses or partners. Very difficult and expensive to get round it.

Return to “Going Abroad”