Update September meet Scotland

Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Re: Update September meet Scotland

Post by Bongopoet » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:14 pm

We will be up on Friday night and plan to bring a canadian canoe for a wee paddle on the loch. Also bikes as I may be feeling enthusiastic. OH will be bringing his walking boots.

Chrissy
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Muz Jr is definitely up for the top of Cairn Gorm, preferably on foot. I'll start the barbie for when he gets back :lol:

Muzette & I might venture up on the train :?
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:37 pm

I'll be walking. If the weather's good, I might consider Macdui or one of the others, but that is an altogether different proposition given how short the Cairngorm walk could be.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 am

We are planning a cycle from the campsite round Loch Morlich, through the forest and down through Glen Eanaich to Loch Eanaich and back if anyone else is interested. Total distance is about 20 miles. Planning to head off at a reasonable time on Saturday so we are back to catch up with those arriving on the Saturday afternoon.
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Post by Muzorewa » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:44 am

The_Gordons wrote:We are planning a cycle from the campsite round Loch Morlich, through the forest and down through Glen Eanaich to Loch Eanaich and back if anyone else is interested. Total distance is about 20 miles. Planning to head off at a reasonable time on Saturday so we are back to catch up with those arriving on the Saturday afternoon.
I think we'll have one up for that, unless Matt has got a gruelling walk planned for the same time. I can't go as I'm injured :twisted:

It would also be good to go round Loch an Eilein to see the ruined castle on the island, you'll be passing not far from there :wink:

tallbongo
Bongolier

Post by tallbongo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I'm afraid we won't make it. Bongo is still in the garage and assuming we do get it back for this weekend, we'll be working on it to prepare for our holiday.
95 N Reg 4WD Manual AFT Bongo

Image Image
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:05 pm

The_Gordons wrote:We are planning a cycle from the campsite round Loch Morlich, through the forest and down through Glen Eanaich to Loch Eanaich and back if anyone else is interested. Total distance is about 20 miles. Planning to head off at a reasonable time on Saturday so we are back to catch up with those arriving on the Saturday afternoon.

I may make it to the loch from the campsite :lol: It is a long time since I have been on a bike and not sure how the creaky knees are going to react!
[-o<
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:07 pm

tallbongo wrote:I'm afraid we won't make it. Bongo is still in the garage and assuming we do get it back for this weekend, we'll be working on it to prepare for our holiday.

Sorry you will be missing, but preparing for holidays is most important

Chrissy
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 pm

The road round Loch Morlich is fairly flat and easy going. There is a path along the old logging route from beside the campsite to the Rothimurcus Centre which is relatively easy going. From there you can take a national cycle route into Aviemore itself and reward yourself with coffee and a yummy cake at the Mountain House.
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:53 am

The route around Loch Eilein is good. When we were there a couple of years ago we saw red squirrels there. Best to avoid in the wet due to the swarms of midges. We got eaten alive despite the insect repellent.
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 am

Thats us booked \:D/ bit of a flying visit , but fantastic area and well worth the drive. We should get up around 8.00pm on Saturday, we will of course sneek in quietly so as not to wake you all up after your walking / biking exploits earlier in the day :wink: :lol:
buntytw26

Post by buntytw26 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Nipping in on Friday for a flying visit as I pass through. Can my folks pop in to see all the lovely Bongo's too? They are very quiet and well behaved!
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Post by Bongopoet » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:11 pm

I have just phoned Glenmore campsite to confirm they have the email from Head office. They are very helpful and have said that they will put us together. Yay Glenmore!

We will probably be up about 8pm and buntytw26 no reason why you can't come visit! I am not holding out for good weather but there is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes!

8)
Alanr
Apprentice Bongonaut

Post by Alanr » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Thats us booked for Fri/Sat. Probably walking although may hire a canoe for a paddle on Loch Morlich. See you all there.
seventiesboy
Bongolier

Post by seventiesboy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:27 pm

We have just returned this eveing from 4 nights at glenmore and a quick word of warning.

The midgies are very hungry and there are LOTS so don't forget the Smidge (or similar)

Also, the campsite has had a lot of rain and is very very wet on the flat grassy areas towards the loch. We had hard standing and even that had a good inch of water on it on Sunday during the rain. So beware :roll:

On saying that though, we had a great weekend.

Enjoy next weekend.
Why?...........Because somebody might wave back.

Return to “Scotland”