Ferry Prices

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

dext924

Ferry Prices

Post by dext924 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 pm

I thought I would let you peeps know about the barging I just got for crossing the channel

Norfolk line return £78!! And thats because I am crossing and returning on a Saturday. Midweek is cheaper!! Way cheaper than P&O. Ok, so they go to Dunkirk, but this is fine for me as I am heading that way.

Defo worth a look peeps if you are heading that way this summer :D :D

See you over there
Bongoing

Re: Ferry Prices

Post by Bongoing » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Hi,
Yeah we did the same checked out loads of times and prices found Dover to Dunkirk for £77 return. Off to Brugges for couple of nights in April then on to Amsterdam for a few days. Hopefully will have finished our home side conversion then so will be our first converted trip.
Happy days
Bin Bongoed
Tribal Elder

Post by Bin Bongoed » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:39 pm

We've used them quite a few times, and Dunkirk is not a problem, especially if you're going to Germany or Switzerland. And even if you are going to south/western France, the mileage difference is not significant. But the motorway south is (or was) the worst motorway surface I've ever driven on. I hope they've fixed it.

But last year when we found ourselves arriving a day early, and phoned up to alter the booking, the costs added up enormously. It was £25 just to change, and the Ferry cost was higher since the original had been booked a long time in advance at a cheaper rate. And there were other charges too, I've no recollection what they were for. The original ferry cost for the return was less than £20, a bargain. But the revised booking was at least 4 times that.

I do not know what there policy is if you just turn up early (which is actually what I phoned up to inquire about, but the guy just wanted to change the booking and charge). But that left a nasty taste, so I have not used them since.
dext924

Post by dext924 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:48 pm

I have used them for the last few years and had no problems. I have turned up early, and if there was room, they would put me on a ferry for no extra charge, and if I was late, (which happened one year due to a huge accident in Germany) again they never charged us extra for missing our ferry and put us on the next available.

A friend has just booked with them for mid week and got a return for £58.
P&O, £140........... :?: No Brainer
TimN

Post by TimN » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:14 am

I realise that I am months late in entering this discussion, but have only just registered. Because I go Dover/Calais a lot (golf, wine, battle field visits, Tour de France and any other excuse I can come up with) and live in Kent I buy a Sea France carnet for 5 trips a year. Works out at £75 per round trip, and is fully flexible. You can just turn up and either change a booked ferry or ask to go on the next one available quoting your carnet booking number. Surcharges in August and public hols though, but not much; about a fiver I think. You can assign one ticket to a friend or family member and if you still can't use all 5 take forward one trip to the next year if you buy another carnet.

There are usually queues at Dover for P&O but Sea France appears largely unloved. Nice boats and never full that I have experienced, but I am an off-peak traveller. I think DFDS is in process of acquiring Sea France so things may change.

Tim N
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:40 pm

Brittany Ferries timetable comes out September 19th by the way.. The most expensive company, but the food is great, there is no mileage to the terminal for us, we would prefer to be driving from Cherbourg than Calais, as it is 180 miles to Dover before we even start the journey to Aigues Mortes.

Saying that LD Lines is looking good. Not sure when the brochure is out though. BF do normally a discount as well if you book before December 31st - Last year it was a 15% discount if you booked a hotel as well. But we found some very good hotel prices as well.
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Nick65 wrote:Brittany Ferries timetable comes out September 19th by the way.. The most expensive company, but the food is great, there is no mileage to the terminal for us, we would prefer to be driving from Cherbourg than Calais, as it is 180 miles to Dover before we even start the journey to Aigues Mortes.

Saying that LD Lines is looking good. Not sure when the brochure is out though. BF do normally a discount as well if you book before December 31st - Last year it was a 15% discount if you booked a hotel as well. But we found some very good hotel prices as well.
Look at the old Transmanche Ferries route from Newhaven to Dieppe it usually works out cheaper than the Portsmouth Le Havre route it is a few more miles each side for you but worth looking to see how that balances against the fare. Both Newhaven and Dieppe are havens of peace compared to Dover & Calais or even Dunkerque.
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:37 pm

I must admit that we have used DFDS (Norfolk line) now for ages.

Our last trip (3 weeks ago) cost us £69 return in Aug and middy crossing during the week. Our plans changed and our outbound was 0800. Rocked up 15 mins before sailing and it cost nothing - really nice guy in the cabin. The return, we arrived in time for the 1000 crossing to Dover and it cost us nowt again!

You can't argue with that and the ferry itself, whilst busy was clean and tidy and the staff friendly. When we go again I'll stock up the fridge with cereal etc and have brekkie on a free table. Forking out almost £50 for breakfast for both trips hurt a wee bit!

The extra 30 miles isn't a drama onto our route. The plus side is that we found a massive hypermarket called 'Auchen' or something like that and only paid 74.9cents for lpg per litre.....approx 68p. Petrol and diesel was the cheapest I've seen in France too.

The hypermarket itself could of turned into a bit of a wallet drainer to. However we really couldn't get anymore wine packed into the bongo if we tried!

Lidl in France is awesome. Don't be put off paying €1.78 or even less for red wine. It's lovely stuff, and we made a dent in the 'cellar' this weekend.
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE

Return to “Going Abroad”