Summary re costs

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

feeblecat
Bongolier

Summary re costs

Post by feeblecat » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:34 pm

This year we went to Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. Despite going to 3 countries our mileage was 3115 compared to 3303 miles last year in France and Despite doing less miles our fuel costs were £671 (based on an exchange rate of 1.11 euros) with only 20 euros of that being tolls for tunnels, compared to £640 for last year of which £144 was tolls. Obviously, the huge rise in fuel costs accounts for paying more money for less milage as well as fuel in Germany and Austria being more expensive than France.

Our total spend however was about £300 less. I did think eating out and food was cheaper than France and we ate out far more than we have in the past. Perhaps because we used the Acsi card more our costs were down though I also felt that, on the whole campsites were fairy cheap.
levon
Bongonaut

Re: Summary re costs

Post by levon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:44 pm

Interesting, haven't added all our costs up from a trip to Belgium, Switzerland and France (Alps and Dordogne).
We did 2020 miles and the mpg really varied depending on the driving style. On the way down to Switzerland we averaged 30mpg while sticking to 60mph or there abouts and when doing 130kmh on way back in a rush to the ferry we averaged only 23mpg (both fully loaded with 4 bikes on the back).

Switzerland was great for a holiday apart from cost - it was very expensive - even for everyday items in the supermakets - it is well worth doing a big supermarket shop before crossing the border! We didn't eat out at all in Switzerland but made up for it while in France! :)

We also used the air con a lot in the Dordogne as it was 37c so the Bongo was a haven while camping in the heat!
bongodonkey
Tribal Elder

Post by bongodonkey » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:29 pm

Interesting this thread.

We are not long back from our first tour type holiday abroad and I was a little gobsmacked at the cost of fuel and stuff in France.

I shouldn't be as we go to France quite often. I think because we run on gas, and the fact that diesel is cheaper that the UK, that it would be cheaper.

On reflection the last time we went to France was when the exchange rate was still a reasonable €1.25 ish to the £. About 3 years years ago or maybe a tad longer.

However it was our first foray touring as such and a learning experience.

Out of it all we found that the following helped massively.

Get fuel in the really big hypermarkets - saved about 15 cents per litre on average opposed to the service stations.

Shop in Lidl in France - saves a lot compared to the the likes of Champion or Cora......my opinion. However there are still some really nice meals out to be had!

Go slightly off the beaten track too as it's away from the typical 'tourist traps'.
Oz, Sam & the girls | 2001 V6 AFT | LPG | 321Away F/S/C | A Bongo called OLIVE
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:39 pm

3 lots of European trips? Where's all the pics guys? :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
Freddiexxxxx1
Bongonaut

Post by Freddiexxxxx1 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Yes ....i agree with missfixit here .... pics please and tips !!!
feeblecat
Bongolier

Post by feeblecat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:26 pm

You'll get pics and tips on my blog, newly updated! Too many to put on forum and hopefully after all my hard work someone will read it lol!
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Post by missfixit70 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:46 pm

I did look after your initial post, but no pics at that point :( will check again :wink:
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.

Return to “Going Abroad”