Loud crash & lacking power

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

jamieson_uk

Loud crash & lacking power

Post by jamieson_uk » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi - only had our diesel 1996 Bongo a couple of months & today returned from a weekend camping trip. On the motorway heard a loud crash from rear of vehicle & power seemed to drop. Was able to drive to next junction but had to drive up a steep hill where the speed dropped from 60mph to 45mph even when in 3rd gear. Acceleration was noticeably slow...The loud crash sounded like sometime sliding in the rear into the back door (not the case as Bongo was full).

When I left the motorway I was able to drive a couple of miles to park safely & await recovery. There does not appear to be anything obvious ie no exhaust hanging off, suspension lower on one side, oil leaking from anything. The vehicle could be driven on & reversed off the recovery truck with no issue.
I know its hard to determine but what sort of "things" might cause this issue. Prior to the loud crash the vehicle appeared to be driving OK

regards,

Chris
missfixit70
Supreme Being

Re: Loud crash & lacking power

Post by missfixit70 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Are you sure the noise came from the rear? Was there any other noise afterwards, ie rev related or anything "mechanical" sounding? Any warning lights flashing?
Could it have been one of the air inlet pipes popping off somewhere between the turbo/intercooler/inlet manifold?
Baffle gone inside the exhaust, now causing obstruction?
Last edited by missfixit70 on Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't polish a turd - but you can roll it in glitter.
mister munkey
Supreme Being

Post by mister munkey » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Rear diff might have given up.

I had similar symptoms a few months back when mine crunched.

Not a relatively expensive repair though . . .

Best of luck.

[-o<
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. http://www.travelblog.org/Bloggers/MisterMunkey
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:26 pm

Check under drivers seat there should be a large bore pipe from the front of the mainfold
This came looe on mine and caused similar symptoms
If it fell off completly it could have fallen under thd car and hit the underneath giving the sound you heard

Long shot but worth checking
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:47 pm

I've got a spare one of these pipes if you find it is missing / damaged.

Return to “Techie Stuff”