V6 - which engine oil?

Technical questions and answers about the Mazda Bongo

Moderators: Doone, westonwarrior

Simon Jones
Supreme Being

V6 - which engine oil?

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 pm

I've done a quick search and looked at the V6 service factsheet, but haven't been able to find any information about which engine oil to use and how much is required including the filter capacity. Could anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks.

Edit: the Lubricants fact sheet mentions API SE, SF or SG. These don't ring any bells like 10/30 does.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: V6 - which engine oil?

Post by Simon Jones » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:42 pm

According to http://www.upmpg.com/motor_oil_rate_gas.htm, API SG is now obsolete.
westonwarrior
Supreme Being

Post by westonwarrior » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:50 pm

capacity is 4 or 4.5 litres not sure which.

any good oil should do I have some semi sinthetic to put in
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:48 am

It's 4.5 litres without a filter change, 5 litres with. I use Mobil 1 0w-40 fully synthetic, so I don't fear to run it quite hard from fully cold in the worst that gets thrown at us in winter, and to thrash it up hills in hot weather. Expensive, but changed once a year, so far at about 9,000 miles (14,500 km) each time, it comes out as clean as a whistle - so with luck it won't block oil ways or breathers, blow seals, or whatever.
2001-V6-LPG-AFT-black on silver-Imperial Purbeck camper

(Ron miel=honey rum from the Canaries)
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:06 am

5W-30 or above,depending on the condition of the engine/millage etc.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... _-Magnatec
wishmaster
Tribal Elder

Post by wishmaster » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:22 am

5w-30 semi in my V6 and it dont drink a drop :D . Like David,s it comes out clean, might be coz i got an LPG conversion :?: .
I have a plan and its as HOT as my pants

IZZY

http://s633.photobucket.com/albums/uu57/izzy2619/
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:45 am

wishmaster wrote:5w-30 semi in my V6 and it dont drink a drop :D . Like David,s it comes out clean, might be coz i got an LPG conversion :?: .
That's a point I forgot - I've also never yet, in three years, had to top up the oil even a smidgeon. It's as full after a year's hard work as when it was last flushed and refilled.

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:07 pm

Interesting ..

Do you always flush your engine before re filling ..??

On all my 'old' petrol cars I always did .. usually half a pint of diesel in the 'hot' engine ... then let it run for about 15 minutes ..

But since using fully synthetic (and LPG) the old oil comes out nearly as clean as it went in 12 months previous .. so I have not bothered with the flush ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:25 pm

10-40 semi is my choice....I always change oil/filter @ 6/7000 miles
http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:24 pm

mikeWalsall wrote:Interesting ..

Do you always flush your engine before re filling ..??

On all my 'old' petrol cars I always did .. usually half a pint of diesel in the 'hot' engine ... then let it run for about 15 minutes ..

But since using fully synthetic (and LPG) the old oil comes out nearly as clean as it went in 12 months previous .. so I have not bothered with the flush ..
Agreed, it's probably belt and braces, although a Forte flush is part of the service I pay for. I'm hoping, in any case, to keep the old bus going until it perhaps sees me into my box*, so nothing within reason is too good for it - but then I don't spend money on pimping, which helps.

*(Quick strip-out of the camper conversion, and she'll make a pretty good hearse, or box me in crouching position in keeping with my distant Viking ancestry, and I would probably fit across the rear Purbeck work surface, anyway. Actually, pre-Christian Vikings didn't even use a box but Mrs M would probably draw the line at that :lol:)

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Sounds similar to me ... I am not into 'Bling Things' ...

I have had my Emina for over six years and I am sure she will still be around for a lot more years than that ..

I am 'tempted' with a Bongo ... maybe it the last motor I will buy .. must be a V6 AFT ... and needs to be rust free to last me ..

I am finding V6 pop tops are hard to source in my price range ... looking at Japanese auction sites most are asking more money than one in in England ..!!
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Ron Miel
Supreme Being

Post by Ron Miel » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Tried any of the after-market pop-tops? I notice Imperial are doing one now, and there are several others. Good hunting, it's a good motor.

Edit: ....a good motor but thirsty, so do the LPG conversion again if you go for one.

mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Can't see past an AFT / V6

Just had the November shipping list from Algys Autos Ltd ... quite a number of 2.0 and 2.5 petrols ...but out of all on those on board .. not one is an AFT
martbox
Junior Bongonaut

Post by martbox » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:52 pm

Stick with a V6, I had a TD one but the V6 is just so much quieter and stronger.
I just went round a lot of dealers in the south looking for a new shape V6 with AFT (Southern Bongos / 321 Away / NMA / Budget Bongos / Freespirit Autos / County Cars of Sussex, not Imperial is it was a bit far from me) and it's clear that not many post '99 (new shape) bongos have the AFT, although a lot more are 2.5l V6 now. If you find one it's typically 2-3k more expencive than a similar Bongo with no AFT. (It might be easier to find a pre '99 (old shape) bongo with AFT and V6 engine actually)
I was advised it would be cheaper to buy a tin top bongo and add a raising roof later, so I got one from County Cars in the end. (Amazingly they did have a V6 with AFT actually but It was a bit over budget/mileage for me)
Happy hunting :)
"Yes it's another Bongo. In the kennels this one was so friendee we had to take her home"
haydn callow
Supreme Being

Post by haydn callow » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:59 pm

http://www.coolantalarm.co.uk
Developer of the Mazda Bongo Coolant loss Alarm
Also BMW Clocks

Return to “Techie Stuff”