Child car seats buckle crunch again - sorry have searched

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Child car seats buckle crunch again - sorry have searched

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi - Does anyone know of anywhere in Scotland (Central belt) where I can get the seat belts shortened?

I've searched the forum and think I've read every post re child car seats but we still have a problem.

I've been to Jan Stewart, Halfords and Mothercare today and am still unable to find a seat for my 5 year old that doesn't have buckle crunch.

I've tried the Kiddy car seat that's recommended on the member helpsheet and its fine for my 3 year old but as soon as you take the tummy guard thing off (which we need to do for the 5 yo) buckle crunch is an issue again.

I've been getting really conflicting advice from the so called car seat experts:-

* Halfords told me my Britax evolva was fine (no crunch) and that I shouldn't wrap the belt around the seat bar as in the event of an accident the belt could snap.

* Lady in Mothercare has told me the Britax evolva is a definite no, has buckle crunch and is not safe.

I've come to the conclusion that are only option is to get the belts swapped or shortened but don't know where to go.

Any suggestions????

We only picked the van up on Sat and the kids are desparate to have a ride :cry:
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
sdsk
Bongolier

Re: Child car seats buckle crunch again - sorry have searche

Post by sdsk » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:55 pm

I thought buckle crunch was only really an issue with Group 0-2 seats where the seat is held in directly by the belt (the child then being held in by the integral harness). This puts strain on the buckle at awkward angles. After that (Group 3) it's the child in the seat that's held in. That's then no different to an adult being held in directly, surely?

I can't see how buckle crunch could be an issue at that point, but I'm often wrong :roll:

That's why we got the Kiddy Guardian Pro you've read about in the fact sheet. The little 'un is held in the seat by the "impact shield", which is in turn held in by the main seat belt. No strain on the buckle at funny angles. Our Maxi Cosi Rodi XP seems fine for our eldest too.

Darron
ImageImage
2001 Aero 2.0l JAL Skylift roof & K2 Campers Intrepid Rear conversion in Carbon Fibre
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:33 pm

sdsk wrote:I thought buckle crunch was only really an issue with Group 0-2 seats where the seat is held in directly by the belt (the child then being held in by the integral harness). This puts strain on the buckle at awkward angles. After that (Group 3) it's the child in the seat that's held in. That's then no different to an adult being held in directly, surely?

I can't see how buckle crunch could be an issue at that point, but I'm often wrong :roll:

That's why we got the Kiddy Guardian Pro you've read about in the fact sheet. The little 'un is held in the seat by the "impact shield", which is in turn held in by the main seat belt. No strain on the buckle at funny angles. Our Maxi Cosi Rodi XP seems fine for our eldest too.

Darron
Hi Darron - thanks for reply.

Both Jan Stewart and Mothercare said buckle crunch was an issue with the stage 3 seats we tried for our 5 y/o.

Since I read your post I've been googling like mad and found the below infor on the car seat safety site.

The issue of “buckle crunch” (see stage 2) tends to disappear in group 2/3 seats but should not be totally ignored. Unlike stage 1 and 2 seats this group of seats relies on your child being secured by the car seat belt itself so it is a matter of education to ensure they stay put in their car seat[/http://www.carseatinfo.co.uk/index.cfm? ... 92440color]

I'm now going back to the Bongo to unwrap the seat belt from the seat bar (for the third time) as it appears my little boy should be OK in the Britax evolva as he's just held in by the seat belt, not the three point harness.

Thank you so much for replying, you've put my mind at rest - I've been worried so much it almost took the shine off our new purchase.

Looking forward to family Bongoing and camping now :D
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:33 pm

sdsk wrote:I thought buckle crunch was only really an issue with Group 0-2 seats where the seat is held in directly by the belt (the child then being held in by the integral harness). This puts strain on the buckle at awkward angles. After that (Group 3) it's the child in the seat that's held in. That's then no different to an adult being held in directly, surely?

Darron
Hi Darron - thanks for reply.

Both Jan Stewart and Mothercare said buckle crunch was an issue with the stage 3 seats we tried for our 5 y/o.

Since I read your post I've been googling like mad and found the below infor on the car seat safety site.

The issue of “buckle crunch” (see stage 2) tends to disappear in group 2/3 seats but should not be totally ignored. Unlike stage 1 and 2 seats this group of seats relies on your child being secured by the car seat belt itself so it is a matter of education to ensure they stay put in their car seat[/http://www.carseatinfo.co.uk/index.cfm? ... 92440color]

I'm now going back to the Bongo to unwrap the seat belt from the seat bar (for the third time) as it appears my little boy should be OK in the Britax evolva as he's just held in by the seat belt, not the three point harness.

Thank you so much for replying, you've put my mind at rest - I've been worried so much it almost took the shine off our new purchase.

Looking forward to family Bongoing and camping now :D
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Oops posted above reply twice.

Sorry - I'm not used to posting on forums.
#-o

Return to “Bongoing with Children”