Buckle Crunch - replacement belts

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

mountainmummy
Bongolier

Buckle Crunch - replacement belts

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 am

Hi

Does anyone know of anywhere in Scotland where we can get our seatbelts replaced or shortened?

After weeks of research, wrapping and unwrapping the seatbelt from the bar under the seat we have come to the conclusion that the only safe option open to us is to get the belts replaced. :(

Our son is 5 and in a high backed booster held in by the adult belt. I was under the impression that buckle crunch wasn't an issue for this stage of seat but after several long phone calls to Britax have been told that it is still a problem.

I sent photos of our Britax evolva 123 seat in place and have had it confirmed by Britax that the buckle position is unacceptable. They have also told me that it is not safe to wrap the belt around the seat bar as this could put stress on the belt at the wrong angle or cause fraying.

I have found companies in London that can shorten/replace the belts but haven't been able to find any up here in Scotland.

Does anyone know of anywhere?
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Re: Buckle Crunch - replacement belts

Post by Poohbear » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:26 am

This is just scaremongering by Britax so that you will by a new seat from them. Ask them to show you the evidence that wrapping the seat belt around the seat bar will cause premature failure or fraying rather than some Britax employee giving you their opinion. You might ask them for their qualifications at the same time because you'll probably find you're just talking to a salesman. It is just another case of health & safety gone mad. Just about everyone on here who has this problem wraps the seat belt around the seat bar or just lets the buckle rest on the base of the seat. If it is such a serious issue why hasn't a directive been issued that makes the child seat manufacturers solve this issue on the seat itself rather than the user having to worry about it?
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 am

Poohbear wrote:This is just scaremongering by Britax so that you will by a new seat from them. Ask them to show you the evidence that wrapping the seat belt around the seat bar will cause premature failure or fraying rather than some Britax employee giving you their opinion. You might ask them for their qualifications at the same time because you'll probably find you're just talking to a salesman. It is just another case of health & safety gone mad. Just about everyone on here who has this problem wraps the seat belt around the seat bar or just lets the buckle rest on the base of the seat. If it is such a serious issue why hasn't a directive been issued that makes the child seat manufacturers solve this issue on the seat itself rather than the user having to worry about it?
I've just been out to wrap the belt (again). I also tried using the right hand stalk with the left hand belt but this caused the seat to move around a lot so decided that for the moment at least we'll wrap the belt.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 pm

Wrapping the buckle bit of webbing once around the steel tube in the seat frame is supposed to cause fraying?

Hard to imagine how, when at the other end of the belt, i.e. inside the reel, that's exactly what's happening every time you use the belt, and it's reeling in / out many times a day, on millions of cars worldwide. Not really a recognised issue with these bits of identical webbing inside inertia reels.

I agree with poohbear - sounds like scaremongering to me. In fact, I can't think of a better thing to wrap a seatbelt round than a large diameter steel tube - the belt always leaves the tube at the same angle regardless of the direction it is pulled at. (A bit like inside the reel too!)
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
dobby
Supreme Being

Post by dobby » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:04 am

Distant memories now as ours were fast growing out of car seats but we gave up on the whole Britax/halfords/mothercare thing and went for dearer Bebe Confort seats from a small independent shop. Don't recall any problems and the buckle fitted neatly at the side of the seat base. Seats then adapted and became booster etc as the kids grew (somewhat rapidly)..........

Return to “Bongoing with Children”