Newbie dreaming of Bongos

For bongoing parents to discuss issues re: travelling & camping with children.

Moderators: Alison01326, mobilecat

Alison01326
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie dreaming of Bongos

Post by Alison01326 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:54 pm

The "show me your insides" thread isn't necessarily that well titled (but "insides" is more in keping with the general demeanour of one and all on this forum; "interiors" is a very boring word), so all of your questions are quite valid!!

Good luck in your search and you WILL get a Bongo and you will be smiling for a very long time!
Alison

The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. (G K Chesterton)
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:07 am

Heres mine done on a very small budget
I needed to carry 6 adult size people, but occasional camping or cooking on days out. I made this unit which can be removed in 20 mins or so.
I just leave it in as stuff can be piled on top of it if need be
amauvis
Bongonaut

Post by amauvis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks for that. I'm reasonably close to getting one, and the one I'm watching on fleabay is still attracting no bids. The seller has updated to say that there is a small rust spot on the OSR arch and a dent in the boot. I'm not concerned about the latter but it's something I would do something with when earning again, but the rust is a bit of a concern, especially on a 99 car. I know all too well that a little bit of surface rust can lead to something a lot bigger on the inner wing. Not sure how easy it is to get access there. So, I'm a little circumspect about the car. is rust on a 99 car something I should be suspicious of? I'm thinking perhaps a previous repair? Are Bongo's generally known to be well prepared for European conditions, or is the frequent reference on the web to a waxoiled underside a bit of a clue to the answer?

Interesting layout above winchman - where do you buy units like that - or are you a dab-hand with a saw and chisel?

Any comments on pricing? It all seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. 8K seems to be a standard asking price for a converted freetop of 97-99 vintage, but the Freda I'm looking at is a bit less, and still not getting any interest. And others are, inexplicably, in 5 figures with no apparent advantage over others. Prices crashing because of the economic climate? I'm after the 2.5TD as my Dad once had a pickup truck with that engine, and I know it pulls well.

Apologies for the OT questions :oops: :)
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:49 am

amauvis wrote:
Interesting layout above winchman - where do you buy units like that - or are you a dab-hand with a saw and chisel?

:)
I designed it, my mate made them ( in a kitchen factory), cost £95 as a proper paid job including two table tops to match.
Door catches £4.50 each, sink I was given, Tap £18, Hob £20 fron Ebay
I did think of making a few and selling them but to be honest times are tight and people just arnt buying stuff and more importantly this lay out suits me but its not for every one.
I can supply a rough drawing if required.
The seat is all the way back so you dont loose any leg room, I have plastic storage boxes £3 each under the seats and a small cool box that fits under the seat, works ok for us on day trips etc, as much as a I would like a full side conversion I just cant afford or justify the expense.

Return to “Bongoing with Children”