Newbie buying help

Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Newbie buying help

Post by Weeduggy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi everyone,

This is my first foray into the world of the Bongo. I've read all the info on this site and other Internet sites so I know I'm definitely getting one but I'm slightly confused by values. There seems plenty on eBay and autotrader but not near where I live(fife) so I can't compare. I've been offered a 1995 4wd 90000 on the clock from what I assume is a reputable dealer as they have been mentioned before on here. Price is 4300 which looking at eBay seems a tad expensive but I'm assured it's rock solid. Just looking for some opinions and thoughts on price for this kind of Bongo.

Thanks in advance for any replies
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Newbie buying help

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:04 pm

A lot of junk is sold on ebay rustbuckets that look great at first glance. It is a well known fact that cars are not undersealed in Japan as they don't put salt on the road and don't keep them for very long due to the tax system. You may be lucky to get a real bargain off ebay but you will be buying unseen so you will not be able to crawl underneath to see if a Bongo has been undersealed as soon as it hit these shores. In any case you should not buy without giving two or three a test drive to see how they run, remember the Bongo that you are looking at is 17 years old and probablly will not have any history to tell you how well it has been maintained over the years.

It is a well known fact that Bongos are a tad more expensive in Scotland as there are fewer dealers around, most Scots appear to go down to England for their Bongos. I got mine from Japanese Auto Locators in Worchestershire 5½ years ago, it is a 1998 model.

When it comest to the overall price it depends what you want. If you are going to keep it as an 8 seater expect to spend around £5,000 for a decent one but your insurance will be a tad high due to the number of seats. If you intend to have it converted into a campervan expect to spend another £5,000 for an A1 conversion unless you do the job yourself. But beware DVLA has recently tightened up their regulations as to what can be classified as a campervan. The advantage of converting to a campervan is that your insurance will be much lower in addition to the obvious usefullness.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi

Good luck with your search.

We bought ours from Campers Scotland in Tillicoutry and have been very happy with both the van and the after-service.

Bill at Campercraft is also very highly thought of. We've not been to see him ourselves but I have spoken to him on the phone and exchanged e-mails and he's always been really helpful.

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for replies,

I think then the one I've been offered may not be too bad then. I contacted Bill at campercraft and he gave me plenty of advice and offered me this vehicle. He says it's solid and having seen some good things written about him on here I trust what he's saying. Going to see it tomorrow or Friday so will definitely know by then. Hopefully I'll be the owner of a bongo soon. The kids can't wait.
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:57 pm

There are still a few places available for the Scottish Bongo Bash in Edinburgh. You have to be a member of the Bongo Club to attend, not just a member of the forum. See you there if you manage to attend but you will have to be quick, Ian the Bongomeister has just announced that he is on the point of returning unsold pitches to the campsite.

Tony
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:03 pm

When is said bongo bash?
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 am

20th-22nd July at mortonhall, in Edinburgh think it is £42 for weekend

Jim
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
The_Gordons
Bongolier

Post by The_Gordons » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

We bought ours from Bill and found him to be very knowledgeable and helpful.
Bongo replaced by Wellhouse Terrier
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Looks like we are taking the plunge. Picking it up next week. WooHoo
:D
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi

You will love youe Bongo and your kids will love it even more :D

Congratulations

Sara
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm

Weeduggy wrote:Looks like we are taking the plunge. Picking it up next week. WooHoo
:D
I'd have offered to look over it for you, but if you're buying from Bill, there should be no need.

Hope to see you at the bash, if you're going.
Matt.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks for that but yeah we are getting it from bill and he seems like a genuine bloke. Had a good look myself and aside from a small dink and a tear in the drivers seat can't see anything wrong. Fully serviced, brakes done, new exhaust and 12 months mot so should be ok. Drives fine. No knocking sounds or anything. Any ideas where I could get a new seat?
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Post by MountainGoat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Try Ady (Northern Bongolow) he knows a breaker in North Yorkshire. If the guy has got what you need we may be able to get it to you via a Bongo Realay. But beware there are a few different designs to the Bongo seat covers, just make sure that you get one that matches your own.

Alternatively you culd look at getting your seats reupholstered. Daveblueozze and AndAnDen had theirs recovered in leather.

Tony
Weeduggy
Bongonaut

Post by Weeduggy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:57 pm

I've thought about the reupholster option but it's obviously dependent on material as I would end up doing the whole lot if it didn't match. Some covers off ebay might have to do for now as I've spent all our cash getting the van. I'll just keep my eye out for breaking bongos and see what I might be able to pick up.

Return to “Scotland”