South Wales - Divonne-les-bains

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Bogmonster40
Bongolier

South Wales - Divonne-les-bains

Post by Bogmonster40 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:03 pm

This is the trip I have planned this August. I have really enjoyed the many posts, pearls of wisdom and just damn good advice about driving in France - Something I knew absolutely nothing about.
If I could be so bold as to ask those of you who venture into France regularly or even those that have only done the one trip albeit very successful =D> But if you could advise as to what port would suit me best to depart and arrive into, should I take a scenic route or stick to the main roads.
Having read the Europe travel forum i know what I legally must carry but if there are any advisables that you would reccommend ? I always carry a 2.5litre of water and blankets, pillows as well as entertainment for the kids.

I drive a V6 2.5i Petrol/Lpg tin-top I have never driven in France previously other than a 20 minute trip to a hypermarket in the early 90's !!! (its a long very sad story) :oops: :oops: So I think I need all the help I can get.
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
Bongopoet
Tribal Elder

Re: South Wales - Divonne-les-bains

Post by Bongopoet » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:24 pm

It really depends how long you want to spend travelling. You can't go through the tunnel with and lpg van. lpg is generally 97c on all motorway service stations. Slightly cheaper off the motorways.

Our most recent trip the cheapest ferry was from Dover to Dunkirk.

A few years ago we drove down to the Alsace region via Reims and motorways, Yes the tolls can be quite high, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to how much they charge. Most of the main roads take you through towns and villages so can add quite a bit of time to the journey.

From 1st July you will have to carry breathalysers, as well as the triangle, yellow hi vis jackets for everyone on board, spare light bulbs and headlight diverters, first aid kit.

The driving standards we felt were better than in Britain and the roads quieter

Enjoy!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:03 am

Hi
Go and enjoy!!!...stick to the non-toll-roads unless you are in a hurry...I really enjoy French motoring....and the cafes . The French are good drivers, so don't worry!!!!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:32 am

I would do LD Lines from Portsmouth to Le Havre and as you've got kids, just hack across France on the autoroutes (As there is only a certain amount of Are we there yets?" that anyone can listen to)

Although my kids have both been very good, it is a bit of a journey and plan your journey so that you do have somewhere for them to play, run around etc etc etc.

It is fairly easy to navigate your way around Paris, but if you live in fear of the stories about Paris, then cut down to Orleans, then across to Troyes, and then beyond.

I presume it is Divonne near Geneva - Otherwise you might be going the wrong way :lol: :lol:

The French are arrogant on the road (I speak as a half Frenchman) but they are just very confident on the roads and as long as you let them in when they are car hopping then all is okay. They mean no harm at all. It's just there way.

As for parking. The French tend to leave their handbrakes off (ON flat roads) so you can bump in and out of a spare space. I leave my brake on though as I have a Merc. Van from Motability and I don't think my insurance policy would be valid!!!

Please, please, please try and speak some French - The French will love you for it, but if you make no effort they will just ignore you. They are proud people.
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Thank you so much for your kind replies, I do speak "School French" :oops: I am 45 but i remember "Frere jacques" word perfect and cant count to 100 =D> lol No we have visited them a few times already but always flown "which i detest to to spinal problems" and the fact that my wife packs for a month !!!!!

It is Divonne-les-bains just the other side of "Lac Leman" or lake geneva if you prefer......

My children are 11 & 12 and are very easy going travellers, i have never had the "Are we there yet" !! that was with the 26 & 21y/o's who are not travelling with us now they are all grown up....

I would rather not take on the mountains as my beloved bongo is suspiciously sluggish on the steep climbs of south wales, I think i'd be pushing it up the bloody alps !!!! #-o

Thank you for the suggestion of portsmouth though, I was not even considering that but I will now.....
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:36 pm

There's always Newhaven - Dieppe as well. You do get the advantage of being further East by the time it arrives, which is very good for you and a good price, plus you are close to the autoroute.
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Nick - Newhaven to Dieppe sounded great until my mrs saw how long it takes to go across from there !! so it looks like Dover to Calais !!

Return to “Going Abroad”