European Trip - Advice on camping in Northern Italy

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

umbongocat
Supreme Being

European Trip - Advice on camping in Northern Italy

Post by umbongocat » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:19 pm

We're heading off in a couple of weeks on a trip to Slovenia. 1 night will be spent on route in Brussels then a couple of nights in Germany and Austria and down to Slovenia for 7 days. This is where my dilema starts, we're heading to France via Italy (Venice & Verona or Lake Garda). I don't seem to be able to find any campsites that have space to camp for a night or two on our way to France.

Does anyone know if it will be difficult to find free camping places around Verona or Lake Garda, or know of a small campsite that isn't well known?

This time we're going prepared and hoping we don't have the problems we've had on a passed jaunt abroad. If you fancy a giggle to see what a nightmare we have had in the past click the link below :)

I still laugh when I think of it :lol:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... =1&t=41131
I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Re: European Trip - Advice on camping in Northern Italy

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:17 am

Hi
We stopped at a campsite in Modena one night...Very very seedy from the description, as it warned of itinerant workers stopping there...we had no trouble, and it was very secure from outside intruders, with locked electric gates. The itinerants were no trouble at all.....pays to be nice to people! Slap bang by a motorway, but, hey, it was only a stopover, as we were way behind schedule, as it took FIVE HOURS to dig the Bongo and caravan out in Switzerland including using a snow-blower :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...so we were a bit late!....a quick bottle of vino later, and I was knocking out the zeds :lol: :lol: :lol: ...I'll dig the name out if you want!
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:00 am

When we crossed over from France into Italy, we headed along towards Venice, stopping the first night just South of Arona on the bank of Lake Maggiore.

Campeggio la Quercia di Bucelloni
Via del Lago, 42
28053 Castelletto Sopra Ticino Province of Novara, Italy
0331 923085
campinglaquercia.com‎

We found it late at night, after a very frustrating hunt for a 'Aire' which was in the ACSII book - which turned out to be the entrance queue area to a Safari Park, with no facilities at all. We finally found a strip of 'civilisation' which included a "Golden Arches" - so we dived inthere for a coffee and some free wi-fi, and found that the nearest campsite was just a few hundred yards away. We arrived as it was closing up for the night, and they couldn't have been more helpful. Nice clean site, usual ropey Italian electrics!

Are you going over the Col d'Iseran once you are in France? Highest pass in the Alps.

Edit : I was advised (correctly) by Alan (Dandwarhol) on here that Garda and Como are best avoided in August, as they are incredibly busy, and are turned into one-way systems, which is very tedious. He advised skipping past them to Slovenia, and going to Bled instead. Sounds like you will be doing the same trip in reverse.
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks for all your help. Yes Helen the name would be good :)

David, we are doing the trip in reverse and heading over to the Alpes for 3 nights as I'm dropping the other half off at Lyon airport as he has to get back for work. Picking up my daughter from Lyon and then La-Creuse to stay with family for 10 days before I head home.

We were wondering if we might find somewhere to free camp too not far off route.

Will take a look on the map where the site is you've mentioned and give them a call

I love cheese!
helen&tony
Supreme Being

Post by helen&tony » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:50 am

Hi
The site is called:
Camping International, Via Cave di Ramo111, 41010 Bruciata (059 332252; fax 059 823235 ; [email protected]; www.internationalcamping.org )
If it's still in existance, I can't say what t's like now, but we went in winter, and it's O.K. ish...but only for a stopover...hopefully better now :lol:
Cheers
Helen
In the beginning there was nothing , then God said "Let there be Light".....There was still nothing , but ,by crikey, you could see it better.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:42 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
The site is called:
Camping International, Via Cave di Ramo111, 41010 Bruciata (059 332252; fax 059 823235 ; [email protected]; http://www.internationalcamping.org )
If it's still in existance, I can't say what t's like now, but we went in winter, and it's O.K. ish...but only for a stopover...hopefully better now :lol:
Cheers
Helen
Thank Helen. I've emailed the other one and will call these guys too :)
I love cheese!
dave_aber
Supreme Being

Post by dave_aber » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:52 pm

This is the view from our van we were greeted with when we woke up there. nice surprise, as we'd arrived in the dark!
Image...Image
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
umbongocat
Supreme Being

Post by umbongocat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:57 pm

oooh lovely :) Will have to see who has space available and who gets back to us first. I've emailed loads of places and they've all come back with their full :(

Think it's because it's only a 2 night stop rather than a week and in a busy period.

Thanks guys for all the information :)
I love cheese!
Dodgey
Supreme Being

Post by Dodgey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:00 am

I arrived at Garda and Como with no bookings, in a 2 man tent, and struggled. You'll really find it hard in a van in August to arrive and pitch up. Saying that, lots of people don't commit to how long they are staying, so you can arrive just as someone is leaving.... which happened to me in Como.
http://www.solarcampersolutions.co.uk Solar panel solutions for campervans

Return to “Going Abroad”