Ferry Advice

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Ferry Advice

Post by Bogmonster40 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:30 am

I'm heading over to France/Switzerland about the 10th aug from Dover to Calais, when is the best time to book a ferry ? Do you get early booking discounts or is it best to wait nearer the time.
Also do you book direct with the ferry companies or do you get better prices elsewhere ??

This is the 1st time for us driving over to see family, we usually fly but the hassles that involves when you get to geneva is just not worth it ! :shock:
V6 2.5i Tintop Aero Petrol/LPG
Muzorewa
Supreme Being

Re: Ferry Advice

Post by Muzorewa » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:35 am

Best to book with one operator direct and online (P&O for Dover-Calais, DFDS Norfolk Line for Calais-Dunkirk, LD Lines for Newhaven-Dieppe) (or EuroTunnel for Folkestone-Calais) with a flexi ticket then you can amend the time or date if you need to. Booking early normally gets you a better price.

For a Bongo make sure you declare the total height & length correctly within their bands otherwise you might be stranded....(height 1.96m for standard tintop on standard tyres, 2.09m for standard factory AFT on standard tyres, length 4.585m plus bullbar / towbar / bikerack / backbox etc) :wink:

Don't forget all the nonsense you need to take with you - Hi-viz jackets, warning triangle, breathalyser kits etc :(

Top tip - Take a map. :twisted: And a camera :wink:
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:14 am

Book as early as possible.

Do you need to do Dover Calais? Newhaven Dieppe are doing offers of £121 each way
peterrc
Bongolier

Post by peterrc » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 pm

Fares tend to be cheaper late night and early morning. In the past I have got a 11.00 pm ferry and once in France stopped at an 'air de service' they are not to everyones liking and you get more of a rest than a good nights sleep.
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:34 pm

£121 each way - WHAT !!!! I thought it would only be about £45...... :oops: :lol:
I intend to catch the 04.50am ferry in the morning if possible.

Someone did mention the Newhaven to Dieppe route, but I am pretty sure that puts an extra 70 miles on the trip plus extra hours on a ferry something my wife and rugrats would be none too pleased about !!

However if someone has done the drive from Calais to divonne or Dieppe to divonne I would be very happy to weigh this advice up b4 deciding.. ...
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Bogmonster40 wrote:£121 each way -
Who with and when? :shock:

I don't pay that return for a 7m long m/home :?
Moose
Junior Bongonaut

Post by Moose » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:26 pm

I booked direct with DFDS, Dover to Calais leaving bank holiday weekend in Aug for £59 return which includes a £1 debit card fee. Vehicle details state: Car/Motorhome under 2.4m high and 5m in length.

I normally go via the tunnel and was just about to pay £158 for return journey when I thought I would have a look at the ferries. The journey is 90 minutes instead of 35 but i'm saving £100 pound so I don't mind :D

Russell.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:07 pm

We usually aim to get on the ferry about 8 or 9-ish in the morning and then you can have a decent breakfast on board. I think last time with Sea France (R.I.P.), you'd get a huge portion with a tea/coffee and orange juice for about £7. That's usually enough to keep you going until you get to your destination.
Nick65
Supreme Being

Post by Nick65 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:54 pm

If you think that's expensive, try Brittany Ferries :? :shock:
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:46 pm

Nick65 wrote:If you think that's expensive, try Brittany Ferries :? :shock:
But if you check - carefully priced to be just cheaper than the REAL* cost of driving the extra miles.

* NOT just the cost of fuel.
aquatix
Junior Bongonaut

Post by aquatix » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:27 am

I've done that trip 4 times now in a Bongo and going back to the Alps again in September.

DFDS Dover to Dunkirk is the way to go, book directly with them on line and it can be as low as £28 each way (off peak, night crossing, advance booking). Advantage is driving on quiet UK roads in the evening, and passing through the busy part of France / Belgium in the early hours before rush hour.

Best route (No Tolls !!!) is through Belgium (skirting Brussels) to Luxembourg, then down through Metz, Nancy towards Besancon and your final destination. Roads are all excellent and perfect for bowling along in a Bongo at 60-65mph. Use a good Sat-Nav (preferably with fuel station POI's) and it is an easy, stress free drive

Driving standards out there are excellent (better than UK) as nobody hogs the outside lanes - but remember to pull in as soon as you overtake lorries etc (as they all do) or they will drive impatiently up your @rse ! There are loads of 'Aire de ....' rest areas with picnic tables to stop at en route - often in nice locations.

Don't fill up before the ferry as there is a cheap(ish) petrol station near the Dunkirk terminal. Aim to arrive almost empty at Luxembourg and fill tank to the brim as it is MUCH cheaper there. Fuel up at supermarkets in France as it is at least 10-20c less than motorway service stations.

The Bongo made light work of driving 4000 feet straight up the Alps several times a day, with up to 6 adults and paragliding equipment on board. Just remember to leave the engine running for a bit to cool off after any steep ascents.

PS - if you haven't yet booked, I am just about to buy another "multitrip package" from DFDS which works out slightly cheaper and has the advantage that tickets are open and can be used (by anyone) on any off peak crossing - so no surcharges if you miss your ferry or want to change dates .....

PM me if you want one of these tickets, which can be used any time before end of 2012. (or if anyone else is interested in going). :D
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:26 pm

The Bongo made light work of driving 4000 feet straight up the Alps several times a day, with up to 6 adults and paragliding equipment on board. Just remember to leave the engine running for a bit to cool off after any steep ascents.

Is that REALLY necessary ???? Would I also be best advised to carry a gallon of water for the Bongo just in case ??
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Bogmonster40 wrote:The Bongo made light work of driving 4000 feet straight up the Alps several times a day, with up to 6 adults and paragliding equipment on board. Just remember to leave the engine running for a bit to cool off after any steep ascents.

Is that REALLY necessary ???? Would I also be best advised to carry a gallon of water for the Bongo just in case ??

It's VERY necessary just stopping the engine dead after heavy work leads to heat soak. That is where all the heat in the block is dumped into the still water in the block and can cause it to boil very rapidly and over pressurising the cooling system.

Letting the engine tick over for a while before shutting down keeps the water circulating through the block AND the radiator which allows the residual heat to be dispersed slowly and safely to atmosphere.

Just shutting down after a long hard climb can be a recipe for disaster. Doing it at altitude where there an even bigger difference in pressure between the system and the outside atmosphere just increases the risk further.
Bogmonster40
Bongolier

Post by Bogmonster40 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 pm

Thank you scanner for explaining that - makes sense when someone explains it to you :oops:
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:56 pm

Also kinder on the Turbo ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)

Return to “Going Abroad”