Awning

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

ditto2001

Awning

Post by ditto2001 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi me and my partner have bought a bongo our "pig-sty" this year and a drive away awning, we have used it twice and on our last trip detached the awning so we could go out :P on arrival back to our awning we had a nightmare trying to re attach it to our van , we first of all couldn,t correctly gauge the distance we needed to park (decided we should put a marker when we park up) but OMG the wind was so bad we couldn,t attach the poles to the van they seemed to not have enough "give" in them :( Is there any think we can get to assist as this really was a nightmare !!, does anyone have any ideas /tips to help us out PLEASE : )
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: Awning

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm

ditto2001 wrote:Hi me and my partner have bought a bongo our "pig-sty" this year and a drive away awning, we have used it twice and on our last trip detached the awning so we could go out :P on arrival back to our awning we had a nightmare trying to re attach it to our van , we first of all couldn,t correctly gauge the distance we needed to park (decided we should put a marker when we park up) but OMG the wind was so bad we couldn,t attach the poles to the van they seemed to not have enough "give" in them :( Is there any think we can get to assist as this really was a nightmare !!, does anyone have any ideas /tips to help us out PLEASE : )
You are right about using markers to ensure you reverse back into the same position the Bongo was in when you pitched the awning. Many of us use tent pegs lined up with wheel centres and about 2" out from the wheels. A refinement is to use (luminous green) guy rope between the pegs to make a clearly visible line.

When you say 'attach the poles', are you using poles to clamp the awning to the Bongo? Many of us use figure 8 strips to attached to the Bongo rain gutter (I use one long strip of figure 8, which I think makes it a lot easier and better for reducing rain leakage).

There's another thread running on this topic at present - worth a look. 8)
ditto2001

Post by ditto2001 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi Mike thanks for your response, good tip re tent poles, yes it is the figure 8 strips we are(using 5 in total) we found as 2 of the strips had a slight gap we did have a small leak(totally our fault) we just found trying to get them re attached to the bongo hard work the wind was very high and it actually pulled the awning from the runner! we were wondering if there was another say strong industrial type bungee addition to put the awning on and then attach that to the van. Hope im explaining myself ok ? i will read the link you suggested too, thanks again Deb :)
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 pm

ditto2001 wrote:Hi Mike thanks for your response, good tip re tent poles, yes it is the figure 8 strips we are(using 5 in total) we found as 2 of the strips had a slight gap we did have a small leak(totally our fault) we just found trying to get them re attached to the bongo hard work the wind was very high and it actually pulled the awning from the runner! we were wondering if there was another say strong industrial type bungee addition to put the awning on and then attach that to the van. Hope im explaining myself ok ? i will read the link you suggested too, thanks again Deb :)
No probs. Firstly, read this current thread:

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... 48&t=57557

Having a single length of Figure 8 (provided you can source one for pick-up as imposisble to post really I believe) makes connection a one-step-thread-it-on process, plus stops leaking. Not quit sure what you are saying about the bungee so I'd pursue the figure 8 thing first then see how you find things after that. Anything is possible, with enough ingenuity and some components, but I'd say try it one step at a time then come back for further discusison. 8)
ditto2001

Post by ditto2001 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Thanks again , i will look at getting a single strip figure of 8 and try and harder : )
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:12 pm

ditto2001 wrote:Thanks again , i will look at getting a single strip figure of 8 and try and harder : )
Good luck - keep us posted :-)
ditto2001

Post by ditto2001 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks Mike : )

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”