Quick question!

Mum2Fergus

Quick question!

Post by Mum2Fergus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm

So, picking up Olly on Friday ... will use with our existing tent for timebeing until I see about an awning. Question relates to this weekend when we went camping for first time with son. We were in St Andrews (Cairnsmill) ... but where the tents were pitched there is no room for Olly to sit next to us ... and where the campers were, it was all hardstandings (gravel).

So while using tent, will I just need to pitch as best I can on the gravel (have SIG and a separate groundsheet so hopefully tent will survive!). Is this a common set up for sites ... I've honestly not paid much attention in the past) ...
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Re: Quick question!

Post by Poohbear » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:20 pm

No that's not normal. Usually you are either all on grass or on a small piece of hardstanding with a grass area next to it for the awning. I wouldn't stay on a site that is all hardstanding because we use an awning and a windbreak to create some privacy.

Are you saying that where the tents were, people weren't allowed to park their car next to their tent? That seems very odd and wouldn't be very popular.
Mum2Fergus

Post by Mum2Fergus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:40 pm

That's exactly it ... there was a short road that took us up alongside our pitch where we unloaded, but then car had to be moved to a car park a short distance away, but not so short I'd ever get an awning to cover it lol ...
mountainmummy
Bongolier

Post by mountainmummy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi

There are some fabulous grassy sites in Scotland.

So far this year we've stayed at

Glen Brittle in Skye - my favourite, been three times so far this year.
Big sands in Gairloch.
The croft campsite in Arisaig (no showers but a great view and very cheap, I think we paid just £10 per night).
The Red Squirrel in Glencoe is also fab. There's a mix of stony and grassy bits but you can always find somewhere for your tent and as a bonus you can have a camp fire.

I'm sure others will have a lot more suggestions for you.

Are you excited about picking up the van?

Sara :D
Why, oh why did I chose such a naff forum name????
Mum2Fergus

Post by Mum2Fergus » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks Sara...will look into some of those. Going to plan a proper trip for our week off during October. Strangely enough Im not consciously thinking about picking Olly up...it almost seems a bit surreal to have our own after lusting after other folks for so long lol ...

Return to “Scotland”