furniture covering

Questions & answers about kitchen units, stoves, fridges, heaters, water tanks, seats, mattresses etc etc.

Moderator: Doone

Hanksy
Bongolier

furniture covering

Post by Hanksy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 pm

Im going to make a couple of high up units like the ones ACE campers do out of plywood, but i need something to cover them i don't really want to use a fabric covering i would rather go with a sticky vinyl with edging

my ply is 9mm and im after the grey with flecks in but cant see any on ebay (or anywhere else )

has anybody else covered there home made units, and what did you use?

Ta
Stu
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Re: furniture covering

Post by mikeonb4c » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:02 pm

Hanksy wrote:Im going to make a couple of high up units like the ones ACE campers do out of plywood, but i need something to cover them i don't really want to use a fabric covering i would rather go with a sticky vinyl with edging

my ply is 9mm and im after the grey with flecks in but cant see any on ebay (or anywhere else )

has anybody else covered there home made units, and what did you use?

Ta
Stu
I sometimes wonder if as good or better an effect can be had by spray paint and 2-pack lacquer. Might be a lot less labour and more chance of a professional finish unless you are patient and skilled at applying and trimming covering materials. I did this with a unit made out of cheap ply. I used Silent Silver (same colour as Bongo bumpers - I had soem spare) without primer, so the grain of the wood showed through. I then sprayed 2-pack lacquer. It was quick and produced a really effective look that fitted with the Bongos colour scheme. And it will be dead easy to redo anytime I decide the unit (which is removable) looks scratched and/or tired.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Following on from Mike's suggestion, take a look at this thread here from 'Winds' who bought by previous Bongo: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... &hilit=ply. I've seen them in the flesh & the results are brilliant, but you will need to be pretty clever with the wood working & painting to get it spot on.
Hanksy
Bongolier

Post by Hanksy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Following on from Mike's suggestion, take a look at this thread here from 'Winds' who bought by previous Bongo: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... &hilit=ply. I've seen them in the flesh & the results are brilliant, but you will need to be pretty clever with the wood working & painting to get it spot on.

they look good, i was hoping to hide my cr@ppy wood working though, :D

ill have a rethink and a practice first i think :?
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Hanksy wrote:
Simon Jones wrote:Following on from Mike's suggestion, take a look at this thread here from 'Winds' who bought by previous Bongo: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/ ... &hilit=ply. I've seen them in the flesh & the results are brilliant, but you will need to be pretty clever with the wood working & painting to get it spot on.

they look good, i was hoping to hide my cr@ppy wood working though, :D

ill have a rethink and a practice first i think :?
I used Plasticote on mine, the prefformed Ply that Winds and I both used comes with a melamine coating which takes paint well as long as you degrease it thoroughly.

I did consider getting mine professionally flocked but decided I had spent enough.
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]

Return to “Campervan Conversions in Bongos”