Heaters, leisure batteries and inverters

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

Furydav
Bongolier

Heaters, leisure batteries and inverters

Post by Furydav » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Can any one talk me through this minefield. I think ill need some form of on board heating but do not want the expense of gas powered blow heater (which would probably be too hot in any case)

Im considering a electric tube heater somewhere around 60 or 60 watts to heat the bongo when not hooked up to any mains power on a campsite.

I can only find 240 volt ones so far , would this mean using an inverter off the battery? would this work? How long can i expect it to run?

Any other suggestions as im not keen on any naked flame type heater?

ta
wonkanoby
Supreme Being

Re: Heaters, leisure batteries and inverters

Post by wonkanoby » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm

you cannot heat it of the battery

any significant heater would flatten it in minutes
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm

I agree with wonkanoby.

You could look into an Eberspacher or Webasto diesel heater. If you've got a petrol Bongo, you could still run one of these from a small, dedicated fuel tank, I imagine.

Also look at insulating behind your panels/conversion. Foam or sheep's wool, whatever fits though I would avoid fibreglass.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
francophile1947
Supreme Being

Post by francophile1947 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:28 pm

Furydav wrote:Can any one talk me through this minefield. I think ill need some form of on board heating but do not want the expense of gas powered blow heater (which would probably be too hot in any case)

Im considering a electric tube heater somewhere around 60 or 60 watts to heat the bongo when not hooked up to any mains power on a campsite.

I can only find 240 volt ones so far , would this mean using an inverter off the battery? would this work? How long can i expect it to run?

Any other suggestions as im not keen on any naked flame type heater?

ta
Yes, it would mean using an inverter. 60W will draw 5A and, allowing for the inefficiency of inverters, would probably only give you 6 or 7 hours use at the most, before the battery is technically flat. Plus, I would seriously doubt that a 60W heater would even make any difference to the temperature in the Bongo, especially with the roof up.
John
(Evidence that intelligent life exists in the universe, is that it hasn't tried to contact us)
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Post by g8dhe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 pm

We have found this 450W heater is just right for us http://tinyurl.com/8dktkde but it is mains powered but it gives you a clue as to the amount of power needed. No form of electrical heating is going to work however from a 12volt battery they just haven't got the capacity.
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Furydav
Bongolier

Post by Furydav » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info , ill have to think again
Dr Fingers
Supreme Being

Post by Dr Fingers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 pm

g8dhe wrote:We have found this 450W heater is just right for us http://tinyurl.com/8dktkde but it is mains powered but it gives you a clue as to the amount of power needed. No form of electrical heating is going to work however from a 12volt battery they just haven't got the capacity.

Have to agree..bought one for the van, but use it all over the house..great value :D

Derek
Diplomat
Supreme Being

Post by Diplomat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:45 pm

Wear warm clothes and sleep in a decent duvet. Make the most of the warm engine when possible, at least it's not out at the front losing its warmth into the atmosphere.

No one ordained that camping has to replicate living in a house. That's what makes it fun!

Frank
My schoolmates idolised Biggles, I wanted to be Alcock & Brown
They flew, I took up naturism

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”