LPG register Scotland

Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

LPG register Scotland

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 pm

Was just wondering if anyone could help. I filled the bongo with lpg in Musselburgh drove up to Stirling had difficulty finding a station with LPG, we have an App on our phone for LPG but have found not many of the garages that are on the app actually have it. In my area of East Lothian we only have supplies at Longniddry, Shell Musselburgh, and Shell Dreghorn, drove up to Glencoe at the weekend and manage to locate only one garage in the area which stocked LPG (small garage in Onich). I was wondering others members would be willing to post details of LPG friendly garages in their area. I'm sure other LPG users are having the same problems as myself and would find it useful for travelling all over Scotland.

Thanks in anticipation
Jim
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: LPG register Scotland

Post by the laird » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:07 pm

hi glad you had a good weekend!i was coming but we had a leaking roof at home just got tidied up at 15.00 this savo.went down to the ferry the night for tea.shell do a pamphlet with sites for lpg as do bp.morrison at livi and shell at the a 71 lizzie bryce as do the deer park bp
clutha
Bongolier

Post by clutha » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Jim out of curiosity I looked for this because I'd notice LPG at 66p/ltr at ASDA Linwood only a few minutes from Glasgow Airport.

Anyone needing LPG west of Glasgow could get it not far from the A82, at the Jet station west of Clydebank on the A814.

Gordon
Freda now gone, :-/ But nice wee Burstner obtained ;-)
http://www.gordonbickerton.co.uk
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:17 pm

New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:49 pm

The getlpg site looks the most useful. Finding a site that sells it is only part of the battle though. Next is finding a site with a working pump, lpg in stock and willing to sell it you. :roll:

Going to Looe for the South West Bongo Bash was an exercise in detective work. Local shell station, pump not working. Texco Ringwood, same. Found some at BP Bournemouth and filled up. Next try Honiton to top up to make sure I had the range to get there. Light are very vague as to much lpg you have. Pump out of action again. Next try BP on A36 south of Exeter. Gas and pump working but they could not sell me some as there was a petrol tanker in the station and it blocked the view of the lpg pump. :evil: Finally found lpg at Saltash just past Plymouth. 140 mile gap. Coming back was no better. Topped up at Saltash. Honiton had just had their pump serviced, but it only dispensed £5 of gas :^o . Much as I would have loved to have come from Cornwall on that, not likely. Again finally succeeded in Bournemouth, nearly home.

It still is amateurish in some aspects. That was not the only hunt the lpg journey this summer. Try finding it on the motorway box round Birmingham (Warwick has it but does not advertise it and you have passed the slip road when you see the pump).
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:18 pm

New Forest Terrier wrote:The getlpg site looks the most useful. Finding a site that sells it is only part of the battle though. Next is finding a site with a working pump, lpg in stock and willing to sell it you. :roll:

Going to Looe for the South West Bongo Bash was an exercise in detective work. Local shell station, pump not working. Texco Ringwood, same. Found some at BP Bournemouth and filled up. Next try Honiton to top up to make sure I had the range to get there. Light are very vague as to much lpg you have. Pump out of action again. Next try BP on A36 south of Exeter. Gas and pump working but they could not sell me some as there was a petrol tanker in the station and it blocked the view of the lpg pump. :evil: Finally found lpg at Saltash just past Plymouth. 140 mile gap. Coming back was no better. Topped up at Saltash. Honiton had just had their pump serviced, but it only dispensed £5 of gas :^o . Much as I would have loved to have come from Cornwall on that, not likely. Again finally succeeded in Bournemouth, nearly home.

It still is amateurish in some aspects. That was not the only hunt the lpg journey this summer. Try finding it on the motorway box round Birmingham (Warwick has it but does not advertise it and you have passed the slip road when you see the pump).
Was at one at Inverness (Tesco Extra) which is on the lpg website however they don't sell it, another website shows in East Lothian has only one supplier in Musselburgh. There is a second, in Longniddry
bet it's like this all over the country.
New Forest Terrier
Supreme Being

Post by New Forest Terrier » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:48 pm

Yes absolutely agree. The guides are really inaccurate. Some places are listed when they are only thinking of getting lpg and never do. Others listed are places on industrial estates which have a tank for their own vans, or are converters who do not sell the stuff. Many sell the stuff but do not advertise and only local knowledge enables you to find it. The West Wellow services at the Paultons Park junction on the M27 keeps its pump a dark secret, no sign, although there is usually a queue of locals.

I last had an lpg vehicle in 2004 and was amazed to find it was mainly the same old garages selling lpg in 2012. This is probably why so many of them have pumps out of order at any one time. More demand due to higher fuel prices, but the same little tanks, resulting in regular sell outs.
The BewilderBeast - V6 Mean Green Tintop with LPG and 321 Away Montague Conversion
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 pm

Simon,
Some of the local garages shown on these websites don't have lpg, I've been caught out several times on these websites, first found this out when I drove a 30 mile round trip to fuel up with lpg only to find out, they have never sold it, yet on the app it showed a price of 73.5p last checked 23/05 /12, Had to fill up with petrol as I had no option, that's why I posted the forum, I get about 400km to tank of lpg so nice to get several garages with easy access from the major trunk roads in Scotland ie at least a garage in the borders, Fife, Glasgow, Perth, Inverness, Highland region, lothian, etc.
Thanks for the info Simon at least it's a start I may give one or two of them a call as I reckon I only need about 10 garages to cover the entire Scottish mainland.
Many thanks
Jim
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:48 pm

I have used this dedicated LPG Forum for several years ..

http://www.lpgforum.co.uk/
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
weebrian
Bongolier

Post by weebrian » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:20 pm

This site is well worth subscribing to. By purchasing the latest map book, which seems to be quite accurate you are given a code which gives you access to their web site.

http://go-autogas.com
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:09 am

Thanks guys, gosh there's so much info I think rather than making a list of garages, a list of all the websites may be a better idea, and then plan a route, pick several stop off garages on the route and give them a call to confirm they do sell lpg or I suppose I could also cross reference several sites. I did not appreciate there was so much info on line may look at a few local garages online and see which is the most accurate site.

Jim.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:46 am

Whilst checking my Bongo was on the LPG national register, I had to go on to the "drivelpg" website, it is by far the most accurate site in my area (Edinburgh&Lothians) showing lpg supply outlets giving on most occasions opening times, contact numbers, postcode etc. They also show all registered installers of lpg for servicing/repair purposes. It also states that once you are registered and, if the company that installed your lpg system ceases trading, they will cover the 2yr warranty for repairs to your vehicle.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am

I had my Bongo converted by a nice guy who was apparently on the UKLPG database of certified installations ..

http://www.lpgimports.co.uk/index_files/Page347.htm

It was not until I came to insure it to be notified that it was not on the register and the Company had gone into liquidation ..
JAL Mushroom roof,12/240v, fridge, cooker, sink, LPG V6 .. (written off @ £5500 Nov 2016)
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:50 pm

Mike,
What a bummer, did you have to get it re-inspected to prior to getting it on the road?
jal did my lpg conversion and my van is certified and registered however, I did check just to be on the safe side.
mikeWalsall
Supreme Being

Post by mikeWalsall » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:01 pm

The insurance company send me a registered letter to say as my Bongo was not on the UKLPG register they was going to cancel my policy .. so I had to pay for an independent inspection to get it onto the register myself ..

When I got home and checked http://www.drivelpg.co.uk/ it was listed .. so I eMailed the insures for them to check / confirm ..

Return to “Scotland”