I bought a heated blanket . . .

Questions & answers about awnings, mattresses, and other things to make life on the road more comfortable. This section is for Bongo-specific kit only. No talk about backpacking tents here!

Moderator: Muzorewa

alimey
Bongolier

Re: I bought a heated blanket . . .

Post by alimey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 pm

For me 16 degrees is cool-ish - I'll probably wear a coat. 45 degrees is probably a bit warm for anything other than swimming. So 20-30 degrees is perfect. As you can see, the UK isn't my idea country! I am usually fine when walking around - but get very cold very quickly. I think it's probably lots of different things (like surface to volume ratio) - but bascially I am old enough now to not have to just put another jersey on because my parents say so. I really like to be warm all the time. Although the big confession is that I actually bought the blanket partly for me & partly for one of my dogs that also feels the cold . . .

I will let you know how it goes!
Velocette
Supreme Being

Post by Velocette » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:46 pm

helen&tony wrote:Hi
MMmmm....8 degrees...still "T" shirt weather outside...I only don coats at 5 degrees, and gloves when it gets freezing.....Minus 30 C outside last year...nippy when walking the dogs...our German Shepherd loves it!...the lurcher wears a coat!!!!
I've never wanted a leccy blanket...or electric gloves on a motorbike...my favourite time was riding in the cold...empty roads!
If we don't have cold for comparison, how do we know that warm weather is pleasurable ????
Cheers
Helen
An old despatch riders' trick was to push the bike for a mile every hour or so. Family Bongo push anyone? ;)
[url]http://germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/[/url]
alimey
Bongolier

Post by alimey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Well - I did a little test today to see if it even works. And it does! I put it across my lap as I drove & it was so nice & warm I forgot to turn the heater on.

Once it turns a bit colder I will test out how long it will last on the leisure battery. For £10 it looks like it might be pretty useful. I like the idea of being able to sit outside under the awning and stay toasty . . .
Bob
Supreme Being

Post by Bob » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:05 pm

alimey wrote:Well - I did a little test today to see if it even works. And it does! I put it across my lap as I drove & it was so nice & warm I forgot to turn the heater on.

Once it turns a bit colder I will test out how long it will last on the leisure battery. For £10 it looks like it might be pretty useful. I like the idea of being able to sit outside under the awning and stay toasty . . .

Firepit, have a look at the pics from the Eastnor Castle Meet. :D
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:47 am

alimey wrote:Well - I did a little test today to see if it even works. And it does! I put it across my lap as I drove & it was so nice & warm I forgot to turn the heater on.

not good even for leisure batteries to be run completely flat. I opted for a low voltage cut-out.
alimey
Bongolier

Post by alimey » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:11 pm

Thanks Mike for the tip. I wasn't sure if it would do the LB harm to run it right down - I will make a plan to make sure that doesn't happen.

Return to “Bongo Camping Equipment”