Help! Van overheated in manchester city centre just now

Moderator: Muzorewa

Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Help! Van overheated in manchester city centre just now

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:44 pm

Just after advice if anyone can help. My 98 bongo has just overheated and I'm pulled up at the side of the road in manchester city centre. As soon as I could hear bubbled I immediately pulled over, I really hope I haven't done any damage, I know how sensitive the vans are to heat.

I've just tried to ring Anthony Japan Direct and left a message but he hasn't been intouch yet. I have ADAC cover so might ring them as a last resort but can anyone advise what to check and where to look? Maybe a split pipe? Any help appreciated.

thankyou
Dave
g8dhe
Supreme Being

Re: Help! Van overheated in manchester city centre just now

Post by g8dhe » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:01 pm

Can you see the coolant level WITHOUT opening the expansion tank (it will be HOT and under pressure) ?
Geoff
2001 Aero V6, AFT, full side conversion.
Image Spherical Visions
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi, you can't because the casing is all cloudy. The water was pouring out of the overflow pipe though.
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

You did the right thing. The bottom line is that without bleeding the van, you shouldn't drive it again. Not even a mile.

Are you 2wd or 4wd? 2wd can be towed. 4wd should not be towed and if you need it moved you'll need a flat-bed. I think a few miles at very low speed is "okay".

To bleed, all you'll need is a large plastic funnel. There might be a hardware store nearby, or DIY superstore on a retail park not too far.

Whether it bleeds up okay or not should tell you whether there is further damage that will require further work.

I've PM'd you my number incase you want to talk anything through. With luck, there might be a Bongonaut local who would be willing to help you out.

Best of luck,
Matt.
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
teenmal
Supreme Being

Post by teenmal » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Driver+Passengers wrote:Sorry to hear of your troubles.

You did the right thing. The bottom line is that without bleeding the van, you shouldn't drive it again. Not even a mile.

Are you 2wd or 4wd? 2wd can be towed. 4wd should not be towed and if you need it moved you'll need a flat-bed. I think a few miles at very low speed is "okay".

To bleed, all you'll need is a large plastic funnel. There might be a hardware store nearby, or DIY superstore on a retail park not too far.

Whether it bleeds up okay or not should tell you whether there is further damage that will require further work.

I've PM'd you my number incase you want to talk anything through. With luck, there might be a Bongonaut local who would be willing to help you out.

Best of luck,
Matt.
Hi,the problem is not 4WD or 2WD.It is if the vehicle is an automatic,it is not advisable to tow an automatic as the gear box fluid pump is not operating without the engine running.

Cheers..
Driver+Passengers
Supreme Being

Post by Driver+Passengers » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:30 pm

teenmal wrote: Hi,the problem is not 4WD or 2WD.It is if the vehicle is an automatic,it is not advisable to tow an automatic as the gear box fluid pump is not operating without the engine running.

Cheers..
#-o Thanks - I'll remember that. =D>
Image Image
What she doesn't know won't hurt me.
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:41 pm

An update!

Left the van in Manchester for a good few hours whilst we did the jobs we needed to do, girlfriend got the train home, I waited for the AA to turn up. The bloke was very thorough indeed. Checked for signs of splits in pipes, pressure checked the system using a pressure thingy. We topped up the coolant, which needed 2.5 litres (I this is was the quite obvious problem 2.5 litres is a lot!). I expected it to leak out somewhere and it didn't. Let it get upto temperature and the needle stayed dead central. He checked every pipe with his digital laser thermometer and it just didn't show any signs of budging.

So the obvious problem that there was no water in it. So my question is why, how often do people on here top there water up? The van did a 2000 mile trip in September, should I have checked it after that? I suppose I should have thinking about it. It's been used since without issue.

Anyway I was confident enough in the checks to drive it home, but I'll be keeping a very keen eye on the levels.

Also big thanks to Anthony Japan Direct for the phone assisance.

Back on the road again.

Dave
al & chris
Tribal Elder

Post by al & chris » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:58 pm

Mmmmmmm you must have a leak somewhere 2.5 litres is a lot. We still have a few leaks from hoses but they are only very slow. Low coolant alarms have saved us a few times, would recommend one. Also if just topped up with 2.5 litres there could be an air lock in system might be tempted to bleed again.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:03 pm

Phew. Fingers crossed you're ok although you MUST do a thorough bleed before driving it. Adrian at Japan Direct is great, take it to him if in doubt. And fit a low coolant alarm ASAP ;-) Sorry I wasn't around to help: been out all day or I would have offered.
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Cheers guys. Yeah Adrian said the same about bleeding the system, am going to book it in soon. I drove it home and will check the level before I drive it again. Will it be ok to drive generally if all looks ok on the water level?
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Mcrdave wrote:Cheers guys. Yeah Adrian said the same about bleeding the system, am going to book it in soon. I drove it home and will check the level before I drive it again. Will it be ok to drive generally if all looks ok on the water level?
I wouldn't risk it personally, though I know that's what you don't want to hear. How far is bury from you?
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 pm

Mcrdave wrote:So the obvious problem that there was no water in it. So my question is why, how often do people on here top there water up? The van did a 2000 mile trip in September, should I have checked it after that? I suppose I should have thinking about it. It's been used since without issue.
You should check your oil and water at least once a week, and probably before any long journeys. A coolant system in perfect working order will not require topping up, but it only takes a pin hole in a rubber or metal pipe, loose clamp, damaged seal on the radiator or cap to let liquid out or air in. Oil level will tend to drop as some will always get burned in the combustion process, so you would expect to top it up a few times between changes.

Fingers crossed, you've had a lucky escape this time, but a low coolant alarm and basic preventative maintenance will go a long way to help a vehicle running reliably for many years to come :).
Mcrdave
Bongonaut

Post by Mcrdave » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:01 pm

Bury is 30minutes or so drive from me. I will get it in to let Adrian work his magic asap.
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being

Post by mikeonb4c » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Mcrdave wrote:Bury is 30minutes or so drive from me. I will get it in to let Adrian work his magic asap.
Yup, best thing. He's a good man and knows Bongos inside out. He'll do his best for you, plus to diagnose the cause and prognosis. If you can afford it, I'd fit a low coolant alarm ASAP. Good luck, keep us posted.

Return to “North West”