Spare Parts

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

Coughers
Apprentice Bongonaut

Spare Parts

Post by Coughers » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:50 pm

Hello All,

I'm going round Europe in my Bongo this summer for a couple of months and have a box free and a budget of £50-£100 for spares I might need. I know every car is different and you can never tell what is going to go wrong but thinking about budget and space, what spares would be good to take with me?

Thank you

Jack
the laird
Supreme Being

Re: Spare Parts

Post by the laird » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Usual legal requirements for abroad.alternator belt,eng oil,brake fluid,duck tape is a must it is a great emergency get out bit.exhaust repair bandage.i take it you'll be fully serviced prior to departure!!?i always take a container of fresh water .you can boil for a cuppa if reqd u can use for coolant.just got to be sensible in what you take
Ps I also take jump leads
briwy
Supreme Being

Post by briwy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:44 pm

Fuses are a must (take a fuse layout), 4/5m wire, tap/block connectors for emergency repairs, cheap multimeter, possible a spare relay. Nylon ties. Bleeding instructions (get translated if possible). Good torch.
Personally I don't cart oil, brake fluid about as it can nearly always be obtained locally.
windywatson
Tribal Elder

Post by windywatson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 pm

I allways carry a set of belts, alternator, powerstreering etc as not to expensive along with all of the usual stuff being suggested. And don't forget that it's now compulsoray to carry a breatherlizer in france.

Cheers
Windy-Watson
2001 V6 Tin Top
scanner
Supreme Being

Post by scanner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:40 pm

WINDYWATSON wrote:I allways carry a set of belts, alternator, powerstreering etc as not to expensive along with all of the usual stuff being suggested. And don't forget that it's now compulsoray to carry a breatherlizer in france.

Cheers
Not any more according to another motorhome forum, it seems that implementation the "law" has quietly been "indefinitely postponed" but there are lots of people with lots of them still in stock who don't want you to know that. Yet.

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopict-1 ... lyser.html
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:48 pm

I think you still need the breathalyser kit,they have only suspended the fine aspect at the moment.

January 2013 - Drivers in France have been required to carry a self-test breathalyser since July 2012 with enforcement by fines originally planned for 1 November but subsequently postponed to 1 March 2013. Now the French government has announced that the implementation of the sanction (fine) for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Post by Simon Jones » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:50 pm

You don't mention if diesel or petrol. If the latter, I personally carry spare plugs, HT cap, leads and rotor arm. For diesel it may be worth carrying a fuel filter in case you duff batch of fuel. A roll of Rescue Tape is a must if you get a hole in one of the coolant hoses. If you're going on a really long trip, may be worth carrying an oil filter if you plan to stick to the normal schedule of oil change every 3000 miles / filter change every 6000 miles.

For general use, you'll need spare bulbs, reflective vests and first aid kit to comply with the regulations in various countries. This list shows what you must carry:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/to ... ipment.pdf

Finally, make sure you've got European breakdown cover.
Ian
Supreme Being

Post by Ian » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:59 pm

.....and if you are a paid-up member of the club, carry your membership card. In an emergency we can send parts anywhere to mainland Europe within 48 hours. And you can pay us when you get back! 8)
668. The Neighbour of The Beast.
the laird
Supreme Being

Post by the laird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:04 pm

What a cracking gesture from bongo mission,that's a very reassuring post
And must install a bit peace of mind:nice one Ian &co
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:19 pm

rita wrote:So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.
If there's no fine then there's no need to carry one. It is likely that the plan will be scrapped altogether so if you buy them now you'll probably be wasting your money :D
rita
Supreme Being

Post by rita » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Poohbear wrote:
rita wrote:So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.
If there's no fine then there's no need to carry one. It is likely that the plan will be scrapped altogether so if you buy them now you'll probably be wasting your money :D

There might not be a fine for the offence but I would not risk the the fact that they might impose another kind of punishment.
alimey
Bongolier

Post by alimey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:07 pm

2 triangles & a hi-viz jacket for everyone in the car.

Return to “Going Abroad”