Austria and lake como

Questions, tips & observations about taking your Bongo over the water.

Moderator: g8dhe

vj3
Bongonaut

Austria and lake como

Post by vj3 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi
Anyone been to Austria or lake como.
Doing a big trip this summer, and have booked to stay in both places.
Any feedback welcome
Vicki
Simon Jones
Supreme Being

Re: Austria and lake como

Post by Simon Jones » Thu May 30, 2013 5:53 pm

Might get more lookers in the Going Abroad section ;)
vj3
Bongonaut

Post by vj3 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Simon Jones wrote:Might get more lookers in the Going Abroad section ;)
Not sure how to do that, or how it ended up in that section !

Am a dufus.

V
afws
Junior Bongonaut

Post by afws » Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Been to Como once and Lake Garda twice. Preferred Garda. Sites were on the lake where some of the sites at Como were not so close to the lake. Travelled from Aberdeen to Dover where we overnighted then on to Prague for a week. Down through Slovenia then on to Garda.

Will come back with the sites we stayed at when I look back at my travel details.

We stayed during late August and September. I believe July can be very busy and advanced booking is recommended.
Not all who wander are lost.
afws
Junior Bongonaut

Post by afws » Thu May 30, 2013 7:22 pm

If you are travelling through either Austria or Switzerland as we did remember to get a Vignette (road tax)at the borders. I got caught in Austria when I piulled off the motorway to get fuel and it cost me 100 euros. Got through Switzerland without any problem and used GPS for the nearest campsite & inadvertently crossed back into Switzerland. Got caught at the border and it cost me another 120 euros. Very expensive day. Need one for Czech Republic as well.
vj3
Bongonaut

Post by vj3 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:27 pm

afws wrote:If you are travelling through either Austria or Switzerland as we did remember to get a Vignette (road tax)at the borders. I got caught in Austria when I piulled off the motorway to get fuel and it cost me 100 euros. Got through Switzerland without any problem and used GPS for the nearest campsite & inadvertently crossed back into Switzerland. Got caught at the border and it cost me another 120 euros. Very expensive day. Need one for Czech Republic as well.

Where do you purchase a vignette ? And are they only needed for motorways ?

Great advice. Thanks
afws
Junior Bongonaut

Post by afws » Thu May 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Can be purchased at the border or at fuel stations. Check out www.tolltickets.com I never pre-purchased toll tickets but the site will let you know where you need then and the approximate cost. Most countries let you purchase a ticket on a short term basis ie daily, weekly monthly etc. Switzerland you can only purchase an annual vignette.
afws
Junior Bongonaut

Post by afws » Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Also check out the Bong Fury Fact Sheet on Low Emission Zones around London. If you are travelling in that area they have cameras reading registration numbers and if not registered you could face a £100 fine. Been there but fortunately my van had been registered under the original registration number. After a few arguements I got away with it.
Poohbear
Tribal Elder

Post by Poohbear » Fri May 31, 2013 10:38 am

afws wrote:Can be purchased at the border or at fuel stations. Check out http://www.tolltickets.com I never pre-purchased toll tickets but the site will let you know where you need then and the approximate cost. Most countries let you purchase a ticket on a short term basis ie daily, weekly monthly etc. Switzerland you can only purchase an annual vignette.
Don't buy a vignette at the border, but them at the services before you cross the border. They are much cheaper in the services. Once you get to the border you are a captive market so get ripped off!

Return to “Going Abroad”