Worth a major rebuild???

MikeBongo
Bongonaut

Worth a major rebuild???

Post by MikeBongo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Well, as many on here will know I had to replace the head on my Bongo and had a slight issue tracking down a new squeal that turned out to be a bolt that had worked loose on the turbo intake. Excellent work carried out by both Linton Service Station and Campers Scotland.

Have just completed a flawless 7200km run to the South of France and back including lots of running about.

Things to note. The Bongo ran better than it ever has in the 3 years I have had it. It felt much smoother and more powerful. On the way down it returned over 31mpg and on the way back (I had to rush home in 2 days) on French toll motorways then the M1, sitting at a steady 70+ mph it returned 32.5 mpg. I have double checked this and it is correct! The van feels like new and I am really impressed. Rather than being grumpy about the cost I think I'd have willingly spent the money even without the unfortunate head cracking incident had I been aware of the magnitude of the improvement!

Would recommend a Sanef toll box which means you sail through toll gates automatically without having to rush around the wrong side and feed machines .. great when you are on your own. Just automatically debits your UK account.

If only Bongos were a bit more stable in windy conditions I think it would be pretty much perfect.

Great trip, glad to be home and hope to catch up at any winter gatherings that may materialise!

Mike
MountainGoat
Supreme Being

Re: Worth a major rebuild???

Post by MountainGoat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Get some Air Spring Assisters fitted to your rear wheels Mike. They tend to help a bit with the crosswinds.

Tony
Former SGL5 Owner Jeep Cherokee 2.5CRD Burstner Ixeo Time it585
dunslair
Supreme Being

Post by dunslair » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:21 pm

+1 for the air assisters, worth the money without a doubt. Glad you had a great trip, we have just come back from Fontainbleau in the bongo. Wish we had more time to explore further South.
Jim the Box
Tribal Elder

Post by Jim the Box » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:28 pm

18" wheels fitted to mine and the air assistors, have really improved the handling on my bongo, pop along for a test drive anytime Mike.
"Today's rain is tomorrow's Whisky"
winchman
Supreme Being

Post by winchman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:33 pm

Interesting I fitted a new head to my old Peugeot at 175000 miles, it has now done over 200000 and drives like new
mikeonb4c
Supreme Being
Location: Living with Mango Bongo in the North West but with a tendency to roam

Post by mikeonb4c » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:56 pm

What a great outcome =D>

Return to “Scotland”